The Winfield Bass reel (multiplier) what a cutie!

The Other Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

Re: The Winfield Bass reel (multiplier) what a cutie!

Post by Rockape »

Crucian wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:11 pm Slightly off topic, but nobody ever mentions the Mitchell multipliers, I believe they held the British casting record for some time.
Something else I was unaware of.
What models were used? I have a 602A which was given to me by a workmate, but I wouldn't have thought to use it on the field or beach; then again, the Intrepid Sea Streak was aimed at beach casting, and that always looks more boat oriented to me.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think it was the 602 that John Holden used to hit the first 200yd cast.

Wal.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:40 pm I think it was the 602 that John Holden used to hit the first 200yd cast.

Wal.
Wow, here's me professing to be a fan of the man, and I didn't realise that.
It was indeed JH though who first got me into pendulum casting (ABU 6500's and 7HT's).

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think it was on a ABU 484 Zoom.
I still have my uncles 484 and 602 which he left me, it doesn't get used much these days but it still brings back great memories when I do venture out onto the beach or pier with it..

Wal.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:53 pm I think it was on a ABU 484 Zoom.
I still have my uncles 484 and 602 which he left me, it doesn't get used much these days but it still brings back great memories when I do venture out onto the beach or pier with it..

Wal.
That was my outfit of choice as well Wal, lovely rod the 484, the first of the fast tapers. The 602AP is the same reel as the 602, but the AP has chrome bands on the white Delrin side plates. No brake blocks or magnets, it needed a smooth casting style to prevent a spectacular backlash. When I could afford a 6500, I took a hacksaw to it, to make a ct cage, my mates thought I was mad! Good days…
Sorry to hijack this post :surrender:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Just looking at one of those rather grey ,generic fishing encyclopedias that were churned out in the70s and 80s and l noticed a Bass Fisher on the back cover.
20240306_202756.jpg
Inside were pictures of a Woolies' fixed spool reel and lure.
20240306_202921.jpg
20240306_204001.jpg
I wonder if it was chance or deliberate product placement .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too have a Winfield Bass Fisher - only green and without the adjustable handle. Never seen the water let alone the sea!

I also have - just put into the loft - a lure box - a big black one! Stored all my plugs - hardly ever seen a bank.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:03 pm I thought you’d be interested in some photos of this reel, which is in immaculate condition (considering it is a sea reel). There was a thread end of last year but no images.

It sits light in one hand and would no doubt suit any light spinning I would imagine.

Well done Phil, that is a lovely find! :Thumb: :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Crucian wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:34 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:53 pm I think it was on a ABU 484 Zoom.

Wal.
That was my outfit of choice as well Wal, lovely rod the 484, the first of the fast tapers. The 602AP is the same reel as the 602, but the AP has chrome bands on the white Delrin side plates. No brake blocks or magnets, it needed a smooth casting style to prevent a spectacular backlash. When I could afford a 6500, I took a hacksaw to it, to make a ct cage, my mates thought I was mad! Good days…
Sorry to hijack this post :surrender:
Funny you should say that re the Abu ‘ 65 . I did the same , and still have it and use it !
Much more fun and far less predictable than modern mag brake reels .

On a similar subject .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Birds nests, that brings back fond (or not so fun) memories, it was all part and parcel of it back then.

Return to “Other Reels”