One Small Step

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Carl Hier
Roach

One Small Step

Post by Carl Hier »

No guarantees but at least another small step in the right direction

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c06l7e0edx2o
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: One Small Step

Post by Pallenpool »

To be applauded and supported. It will only take one positive outcome and the whole house of cards could fall - it’s absolutely great news. At last it does appear that folk are sick to the back teeth of the injustice. If we have to go down the American route for being seen and heard I’ll go with it, because sod all else is working.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Carl Hier
Roach

Post by Carl Hier »

Very well put Peter. The businesses that appear to believe they are above the law (if indeed there is a relevant law?) somehow need a stark reminder that they need to change their ways and urgently. Financial implications that truly damage their profits and margins I fear is the only way.
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Although I applaud the actions of the people behind this to bring to account those who treat the natural environment with such contempt… call me cynical but very much doubt that they’ll get the desired result. The whole ecosystems of much of the countryside and its rivers is to be blunt buggered…it’ll take more than court actions and money to put it right….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think that we have reached a difficult point in the fight. There are so many people joining the fray that I feel we may lose our way. For example, chummy with the coracle looked off the Victoria Bridge and said, "See this? We used to be able to see the river bottom right across here" Making crass comments that compare the still clear water of summer but pointing to a flooded Wye is not going to help anybody.

The idea of everybody claiming money back from the water companies is fine but, it will stop them from admitting anything due to the implications and, if they do get fined hundred of millions in compensation, we will have to pay it back in water bills. There can be too many irons in the fire.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:25 am I think that we have reached a difficult point in the fight. There are so many people joining the fray that I feel we may lose our way. For example, chummy with the coracle looked off the Victoria Bridge and said, "See this? We used to be able to see the river bottom right across here" Making crass comments that compare the still clear water of summer but pointing to a flooded Wye is not going to help anybody.

The idea of everybody claiming money back from the water companies is fine but, it will stop them from admitting anything due to the implications and, if they do get fined hundred of millions in compensation, we will have to pay it back in water bills. There can be too many irons in the fire.
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments Dave regarding all sundry claiming money - it’s not the way forward - however I am all for anything that highlights the plight of our rivers and as Rob mentions our ecosystems in general. From a legal perspective it is a way of bringing these b******s to account, whether anything comes from it who knows, but the publicity factor is a step in the right direction - the more coverage, the more exposure the better- you never know it may impact upon those who are considering granting planning and licences for more of the god awful places being situated alongside rivers. I live in hope.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Pallenpool wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 am
Dave Burr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:25 am I think that we have reached a difficult point in the fight. There are so many people joining the fray that I feel we may lose our way. For example, chummy with the coracle looked off the Victoria Bridge and said, "See this? We used to be able to see the river bottom right across here" Making crass comments that compare the still clear water of summer but pointing to a flooded Wye is not going to help anybody.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments Dave regarding all sundry claiming money - it’s not the way forward - however I am all for anything that highlights the plight of our rivers and as Rob mentions our ecosystems in general. From a legal perspective it is a way of bringing these b******s to account, whether anything comes from it who knows, but the publicity factor is a step in the right direction - the more coverage, the more exposure the better- you never know it may impact upon those who are considering granting planning and licences for more of the god awful places being situated alongside rivers. I live in hope.
Like you, I live in hope.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Positive news but am I being cynical that ( at last) the action against companies is also designed to take pressure and publicity off the water companies and their ( mainly foreign) owners?

Carl Hier
Roach

Post by Carl Hier »

Understand all thoughts and comments made, just think it’s better to at least be trying to create a deterrent.

Return to “River Wye”