Iron Strapback Nottingham Reel

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Re: Iron Strapback Nottingham Reel

Post by Rod Fisher »

Liphook wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 am The one that catches my eye is centre of the bottom row. Is it a 'pin or is it a fly reel in similar design to the 'perfect style'? Is that a handle on both sides? Could I ask for it's dimensions please? Interesting :holmes:
Some more images for you. I believe it is a fly reel, with a thumb adjusted spring drag, and handles on both sides. It's about 3¼" across and ⅞" wide.

The other reel appears to be an 'engineers reel' with single handle and counterweight.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Rod Fisher on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thank you for the additional pictures Rod Fisher :Hat: Without wishing to sidetrack your original post could I have the spool diameter and width measurements please? No makers marks at all? Is that a second handle lug on the spool or could it have been the attachment point for a counter ballance? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm certainly intrigued by this reel

Edit - I notice that there's no visible sign of any check mechanism. Maybe it's not a fly reel but a 'scratch' or 'shed made' project?
Last edited by Liphook on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Liphook wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:49 am Thank you for the additional pictures Rod Fisher :Hat: Without wishing to sidetrack your original post could I have the spool diameter and width measurements please? No makers marks at all? Is that a second handle lug on the spool or could it have been the attachment point for a counter ballance? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm certainly intrigued by this reel
It's about 3¼" across and ⅞" wide, with handles on both sides. No makers marks I can find.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thank you Rod. I was adding the edit to my last post as you were typing :Sun:

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Liphook wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:49 am I notice that there's no visible sign of any check mechanism. Maybe it's not a fly reel but a 'scratch' or 'shed made' project?
The central knurled thumb nut applies pressure to a spring which acts as a drag/silent check, as well as being the means of disassembly.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Rod Fisher wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 pm The reel in Duma's book has an iron pillared drum core and an hourglass barrel within those pillars. Does my reel have the same?
It does not.

It's still a lovely find though, and certainly the oldest bit of fishing tackle I own.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

The interior has been coated with blacklead as the Victorians were wont to do.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nice reel, I have one very similar to your one, what dia is your reel?

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Paul F wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:10 pm Nice reel, I have one very similar to your one, what dia is your reel?
About 3⅜". Still runs pretty well after a drop of oil.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Well,its certainly a nice reel and I doubt that we will ever know who made it.

The pillared drum cores ones are a different kettle of fish and possibly 20 years earlier.

In the next book, Trentmen, I will be illustrating some reels with pillared drum cores having established one makers name.

This has only come about in the last four months and we never know what information will emerge in future years, you never know someone might invert a time machine.

Return to “Nottingham Reels”