A memorable visit to the ABU Museum

The ABU Reels forum.
Paddex

A memorable visit to the ABU Museum

Post by Paddex »

In 2004, visiting an old classmate living in southern Sweden, I went up 120 miles to Svaengsta visiting the ABU Museum. For a guided tour you can phone in advance and make an appointment, they give a phone number and my friend, speaking perfect swedish, arranged my tour.
When I arrived, walking over from the parking space to the museum, situated in the old ABU factory and looked for the visitors group I was just all alone and was greeted by an elegant older gentleman, who kindly asked my name. This was the guide - and the tour was solely for me.
There was a slight hesitation on both sides in the beginning, he spoke only swedish, I can handle german, english and french, but that was no help here.
Anyway the tour started and immediately we got along perfectly well. He spent all his working life at ABU as a tool-maker and as I am a toolmaker too, or rather a steel-pattern-maker, we understood each other without words. He started the overhead belt drive, explained all the (still working) tools in the workshop, and we twiddled for two hours on several pieces, that once were part of ABU reels. Heaven!
This pic is from the museum website, end of the 40ies, the guide is on the right, standing in the background, more than 50 years younger. In one glass cabinet is his first pay-check displayed. I think, he told me how old he was, end of his 80ies or even 90, I can't really remember - he looked like 75.
The tour ended with tea in the still original office of Goete Borgstroem, browsing through old Napp och Nytt, Tight Lines and Petri Heil. On top of all he presented me with several Tight Lines and Petri Heil catalogues and 2 new Telur clock-faces, that were part of their timers.

I do not remember the forename, but I'm quite sure the family name was Karlsson. On the actual website of the museum you can still book a guided tour - the guide is Henning Karlsson - if he is my guide from 2004, he must be in the middle or at the end of his 90ies.

So, for a really memorable experience, please hurry up.

http://www.pfcatalogarc.com/abu_museum_web/index.html

paddex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paddex

Re: A memorable visit to the ABU Museum

Post by Paddex »

I know, it's a long way to Sweden and Svängsta, but this film can shorten the distance,

http://www.realsreels.com/history/default.html

yes, Henning Karlsson was my guide and I will never forget this visit

(I downloaded this film and will save it forever)

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Paddex,thanks, i really enjoyed watching this wonderfully proud man Henning, and his story.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Its a great video to watch and does give a great insight to a great company which produced a great product that is up until 1984, the Morrums of today are still a class reel to buy simply because its made in Sweden, where else would you want an ABU reel to come from. :Thumb:
Cant help looking at all those new unused reels in those stunning display cases, I for sure have this trip on my bucket list :drool:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I went for a Salmonfishing trip to Svängsta 2009 and sadly the museum was closed,also every time
later when I was there.It might be that it is closed until summer.(I usual fish the Mörrum in the first
half of May)Last year I was able to look through the production hall on the other side of the road
where the Ambassadeur reels are produced .Its on the riverbank of the Mörrum and you might see
Salmon and Seatrout if you look from the bridge to the weir...Sadly to see only a few people working
in this great factory.

Return to “ABU Reels”