The Aerial Popular - Model 8902

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The Aerial Popular Model 8902

Post by Mark »

Avocet wrote:Are all pre war Populars R/handers, if so are they easy to reverse ??
Sorry Avocet.

I think most of them were, I took my reel to Garry Mills who converted it, all he did was change the ratchet pin to one with a different angle.

I'm sure someone who knows more about it will come along with more information for you.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: The Aerial Popular - Model 8902

Post by Mushy »

Thinking about putting a cork arbour on my Popular, but well I am wondering is it really necessary ? now I know you get those little kinks, have them on my speedia already ! but where is the problem other than cosmetic ? Does it hamper the Wallis cast, does it weaken the line ?

Apologies if this is a naive comment :Scared: but would welcome views.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It would certainly be kinder to the line, for little weight increase. I can't Wallis cast, but I'm sure kinked line produces drag, so it must affect casting and it certainly slows your strike down.

On the subject of 'handedness, nearly all centrepins produced up until the Eighties were for right-hand wind. Changing them is awkward. In theory you need to turn the spring over and mount it from the other side of the reel in many designs, but this leaves holes in the body so a compromise is usually adopted, whereby a different pawl shape changes the spring tension.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nobby wrote:It would certainly be kinder to the line, for little weight increase. I can't Wallis cast, but I'm sure kinked line produces drag, so it must affect casting and it certainly slows your strike down.

On the subject of 'handedness, nearly all centrepins produced up until the Eighties were for right-hand wind. Changing them is awkward. In theory you need to turn the spring over and mount it from the other side of the reel in many designs, but this leaves holes in the body so a compromise is usually adopted, whereby a different pawl shape changes the spring tension.
That was the words I was looking for 'pawl shape change'.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Avocet

Post by Avocet »

Thanks for the replies.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Mark wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 pm The Aerial Popular manufactured from 1927 to 1962, the longest running Aerial model produced.
Was it really produced until 1962? I know that's what Bob Singleton's book states. I can't find reference to it in any of the post-war Anglers Guides. I find it hard to believe the Aerial would change so much post-war (C815) but that they would keep making the Aerial Pop unchanged for so long after WWII.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I can't see the photos, only the word 'Image'?

A funny A with a circumflex and a Euro sign in the heading too. Most odd.

I love the look of the Popular, but find many vintage Aerials too wide in the spool for modern lines.
What is the spool width on your Popular, Mark?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Banksy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:34 pm I can't see the photos, only the word 'Image'?

A funny A with a circumflex and a Euro sign in the heading too. Most odd.

I love the look of the Popular, but find many vintage Aerials too wide in the spool for modern lines.
What is the spool width on your Popular, Mark?
Because this post is 12 years old and the picture was lost with the tinypic issue as were a lot of pictures on all forums years ago.
Mark (Administrator)

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

:Chuckle: Always look at the date of the original post!
Sorry Mark, silly of me.
Having said that, you’ve now had plenty of time with the reel, how are you getting on with it?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Banksy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:01 pm :Chuckle: Always look at the date of the original post!
Sorry Mark, silly of me.
Having said that, you’ve now had plenty of time with the reel, how are you getting on with it?
I hardly used it Banksy so sold it last year to a member on the forum.

From the for sale advert I found some pictures and amended the first post in this thread. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”