Unexplained.

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Muskieman
Bleak

Unexplained.

Post by Muskieman »

I know this story isn't about ghosts and ghouls etc but it is true and a bit different. Me and a friend were fishing on the River Ancholme in Lincolnshire at a place called Cadney Lane. We weren't catching much. All of a sudden my mate calmly announced there was a UFO approaching. My initial reaction was along the lines of "Yeah, right", then I saw it. It was around 50 yards away and hovering above the river. I'm a bit of an aviation nut, the only things that hovered at the time were Harriers and Helicopters. Both with a lot of noise and ground disturbance. There wasn't even a ripple on the river's surface. It was disc shaped with two large lights at the front. There were two Vulcan bases close to where we were and there was a lot of activity, this thing moved away every time a bomber came over but reappeared when they were gone. Thankfully, our lift arrived. Apparently there was a lot of UFO activity that night. I've never seen it's like again. Whatever it, or they, were the intentions were not hostile. We were on our own and a good way out in the sticks. There was more than ample time for any hostility. I often think about it wonder who or what it was.

Maggot's Dad

Re: Unexplained.

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi Muskieman, :Hat:

.... they were probably wondering themselves,

" What, on Earth, are those two fools doing, sitting out here, miles from anywhere?"

:Hahaha: :Wink:

Muskieman
Bleak

Post by Muskieman »

You may well be right. That particular thought crossed my mind today as I sat freezing my rear off for no return. Still beats work though.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

What size are you talking about Muskieman?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Unidentified Fishing Object?
niceroach

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Smallscale wrote:To para phrase the legendary Jim Harrison: "wondering what he might be doing' standing in a river, waving a stick."
Trying to scare away those nasty fish! :Chuckle:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Muskieman
Bleak

Post by Muskieman »

In answer to Snape's question, I would say around 40 ft across. The thing that struck me was how quiet it was and the speed it disappeared. It was certainly streets ahead of anything flying at the time and I doubt it was any sort of stealth aircraft as the computer technology wasn't around at the time to allow them to stay in the air. Another thing was, all the cattle on the other side of the river moved away as it came up the river. A weird experience for which I have no explanation other than it was from another planet. To paraphrase Holmes
"When one discounts the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth",

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Muskieman wrote:In answer to Snape's question, I would say around 40 ft across. The thing that struck me was how quiet it was and the speed it disappeared. It was certainly streets ahead of anything flying at the time and I doubt it was any sort of stealth aircraft as the computer technology wasn't around at the time to allow them to stay in the air. Another thing was, all the cattle on the other side of the river moved away as it came up the river. A weird experience for which I have no explanation other than it was from another planet. To paraphrase Holmes
"When one discounts the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth",
... and to quote Lewis Carroll "Curiouser and curiouser!".... :Scared:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Maybe it was......

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I believe you: and the answer to the mystery might be closer to home, but just as strange...
There's a UFO researcher called Jenny Randles who points out that, where UFOs have been tracked by radar, - and that does happen from time to time, - they often "vanish" just beyond the earth's atmosphere. Supposing, just supposing that in the distant future, mankind can master time travel, as least for probes...
This would explain why there are so many UFO sightings: otherwise, why would little green men bother to keep covering the immense distances just to watch people fish (!).
But for earth historians - what would we give for a glimpse of Walker at Redmire (to maintain the angling example)?
Now, what does the edge of space have to do with all this?
Randles points out that, for a time jump, it's no use doing it on the ground, because you might end up in the middle of a tree or a building, at the end of the time journey etc. But in relatively open space...? That makes sense; - far less risky.
Ah, but time travel is impossible? Well we travel forwards all the time, of course; and at the speed of light, we would travel forwards pretty rapidly, compared to earth time, and - after a high speed trip of just five years in a space craft, we would find that hundreds of years had passed by on earth. This is a fact, according to the theory of relativity.
Apart from the problem of the paradox, which is overcome if we accept that our travelling back in time would split some time lines, creating different versions of the future, most scientists today (Snape?) seem to accept that travelling back in time is not impossible, so far as we know.

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”