Slapton Ley

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Wandle1
Grayling

Slapton Ley

Post by Wandle1 »

Good evening Gentlemen....

On the way home from celebrating 25yrs of marriage to Mrs Wandle1...my old Volvo ,happened :Chuckle: upon a rather large pond separated from the sea from a narrow road [spit of land].....i have known about this place since i was a child and this was the first time i have seen it in the flesh....

now ,obviously i know that it was taken over by a wildlife group or some such and angling has ceased...

Has anyone on the TFF angled upon Slapton Ley and what was your experience......

Cheers Wandle1..... :Thumb:

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Slapton Ley

Post by Watermole+ »

Have a look at my post in 'Fish' - 'Rudd' - 'Red and Gold'.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

Watermole+ wrote:Have a look at my post in 'Fish' - 'Rudd' - 'Red and Gold'.

wm+

Will do,i`m on it..... :Cool:

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

Wandle1 wrote:
Watermole+ wrote:Have a look at my post in 'Fish' - 'Rudd' - 'Red and Gold'.

wm+

Will do,i`m on it..... :Cool:

Thank you Watermole+....really really interesting stuff..

yesterday i saw the memorial on the beach and the fishing hut by the lake..We spoke to a really nice lady ,one of the wardens or whatever of the Ley..she seemed genuinely fed up i must say with the fact that angling had ceased and felt the anglers had a raw deal....

when i used to fish `lanson`way i remember being told about the Pike from other anglers the Ley held but the lake was to far for me to bike [cycle] to back in the day,[although i did cycle to Lower Tamar a few times]before i could drive..anyway i definitely missed out on that one for sure...

Rudd are beautiful...and so is Slapton Ley....the 99 on the beach was nice as well...... :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

There is another albeit smaller ley at Beesands, a little birdie told me about the roach and rudd in there once :Wink:

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

The last time I fished there was 20 years or so ago . Access was by boat only , pre booked via the warden . We caught some beautiful rudd up to 8oz or so using float fished maggot . Also some scrapper Jacks on small sardines .

Sad to learn that fishing is no longer allowed .

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

Yes, i fished it twice as i recall as i was based in Devon at the time (late 70s). It reminded me very much of the Norfolk Broads with the reed fringed margins and of course the fishing from the hire boats.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

No chance of fishing being allowed at least until 2020 - http://www.slnnr.org.uk/media/32814/fishing_policy.pdf and I suspect that as the evidence from monitoring suggests that the Grebe population has benefited from the 'moratorium', not then either.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”