The dorsal fins of carp....

This forum is for discussing carp.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

The dorsal fins of carp....

Post by Gary Bills »

Gentlemen, with no little trepidation I have set down my thoughts on the above topic on my blog site, and I would welcome your scrutiny and comments... :Sun:

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: The dorsal fins of carp....

Post by JerryC »

Interesting observations FB. To be honest, although being well aware of different dorsal fin patterns, since my early (50's) days of carp fishing I've never really delved too deeply. It doesn't surprise me though with the different strains that now reside in our waters - Namely the Galician, Dinkelsbuehl, Ropsha , Italian, Aischgrund, Frame and Royale. The one that does usually stands out to me is the Ghostie, the dorsal generally appears much more concave.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: The dorsal fins of carp....

Post by Gary Bills »

JerryC wrote:Interesting observations FB. To be honest, although being well aware of different dorsal fin patterns, since my early (50's) days of carp fishing I've never really delved too deeply. It doesn't surprise me though with the different strains that now reside in our waters - Namely the Galician, Dinkelsbuehl, Ropsha , Italian, Aischgrund, Frame and Royale. The one that does usually stands out to me is the Ghostie, the dorsal generally appears much more concave.
That's a most interesting obvervation about ghosties, Jerry, thank you. I suppose I'm making a distinction, or trying to make a distinction, between the "original" shape of a carp's dorsal and how it has developed through selective breeding, into the many different king strains we now have...

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”