Laminated Crabtree net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Hermit
Rudd

Laminated Crabtree net

Post by Hermit »

Thought I'd have a try at laminating the frame and managed to find a supplier of decent Ash who kindly cut the 4mm strips for me and provided two well finished surfaces. The strips were over 76" long by just over 3/4" (sorry to mix the metric and imperial) and only cost £20 but the postage was £9.(Good Timber 01327 344550). I had explained what it was to be used for and they were very helpful.

Made the former female i.e. the strips would be added inside each other and glued - so the natural spring of the wood would mean less clamping (or so I thought...wrongly). Made the shape of the hoop from net curtain rail and used wooden blocks to contain the bent ash.

Ordered Cascamite glue off ebay for a fiver and some brass M4 bolts about the same price.

Steaming the Ash was a real difficult job for me. I tried all sorts of arrangements using a rod tube but there was lots of swearing especially when the smoke detector went off. I never really got it as supple as others have managed and my heart was in my mouth whilst bending it. And I did really ensure it had a good long steam.

Anyway, I had already cut a groove for the net retaining line very carefully using a large saw and sanded the groove out. The net has arrived (£10.99 off ebay).

I'm awaiting arrival of the brass inserts to hold the bolts into the Ash frame - the nuts in the picture are a temporary fix but the inserts have cost me £3 each and VAT on top. Perhaps I should have used the pronged Tee Nuts I originally bought for the job at £6 for 20! But these were zinc coated and I thought might corrode eventually.

Had to rush out and get more G clamps when I glued it together - you need loads for a net this size and the natural spring of the Ash wasn't sufficient to hold it tightly enough. I stained the middle laminated strip (would like to have used cherry as per GudgeonJims post but this was one step too far for a beginner!).

The brass block was picked up from an old tackle shop - it is a one off unique item unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Laminated Crabtree net

Post by Kingfisher »

That looks excellent Hermit, I wish I was as gifted as some of you lot.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Azur
Dace

Post by Azur »

Thats a fantastic effort, I wouldn't know where to start. Look forward to seeing the finished result :Hat:

Minger68

Post by Minger68 »

looks great

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Thanks chaps - luckily there aren't really too many tools to use... but the challenge for me was bending that Ash!

PartTimePiscator

Post by PartTimePiscator »

Great job Hermit :Hat:

I'm in the process of planning a build of my own - I purchased some Ash and Walnut at the weekend, but still have a lot of planning to do before I cut wood !

Did you build a steam chamber ? - If so what was the source of the steam - I've been thinking along the lines of an old burco brewing boiler for mine.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Brilliant Hermit very nice indeed :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looking good
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

PartTimePiscator wrote:Great job Hermit :Hat:

I'm in the process of planning a build of my own - I purchased some Ash and Walnut at the weekend, but still have a lot of planning to do before I cut wood !

Did you build a steam chamber ? - If so what was the source of the steam - I've been thinking along the lines of an old burco brewing boiler for mine.

Hi Jim

I just used an old rod tube and standard kitchen utensils to generate the steam. There's not enough volume produced by the kettle so I used our largest casserole saucepan, placed two planks across the top, laid the rod tube across the top with a a large and wide slot cut in it and over the water. Covering any gaps with towels I fired it up until a good head of steam poured out of the ends of the rod tube.

I then put the Ash in the tube but placed clothes pegs along it to keep it off the edges of the tube (I didn't want the Ash to lie in the condensed water). I used Cascamite glue as the Ash would be damp when I laminated it.

I tried tying plastic bags over the ends of the tube but I'm not sure if this disturbed the flow of steam and was counter-productive.

Having tried the tube in all sorts of positions (including vertical!) this seemed to be the best method but as I say still not ideal.

Walnut sounds like an attractive wood to use and I'm really looking forward to seeing the net when you've finished.

NB the wood blocks in the photo are to stop the tube buckling when hot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It's looking great – are you going to adjust it so both sides are a mirror image of each other?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”