Sherborne Castle lake.....

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Wandle1
Grayling

Sherborne Castle lake.....

Post by Wandle1 »

Has anyone ever angled upon the 50 acre lake at Sherborne Castle.It really is one of the nicest places i have ever seen..It was conceived by Lancelot Brown himself...

There are lots of pads in the margins ,very Tenchy bubbles and disturbed / moving pads seemed to indicate a lot of fish movement...

Wow !!! what a lovely place..In the Castle itself there are some cased Perch and Pike caught from the lake on spinners/lures..
The perch had its weight on the case but was hard to read,so i asked the guide [nice chap ] how heavy was the perch,he said 16lb...ahhh right i said that`s real big for its species :Hahaha: ,i didn`t say anything as he was a decent chap..

There was two friendly men Tenching happily away ,as i went past them i said,respect to you two,wish i was fishing,paradise indeed..They both gave me a contented :Thumb: ....lucky blokes indeed...... :wave:

Mario
Eel

Re: Sherborne Castle lake.....

Post by Mario »

sounds really nice have you any photos

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I've never fished it but have had a look around. A few years ago it was noted for bream fishing - bags of 3-4lbers.

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

I was chatting to one of our anglers last year who fishes Sherborne and he mentioned that the carp stock was quite low and mainly smaller fish. Some tench and lots and lots of bream but never mentioned perch. The club that runs it also has quite a lot of matches on the lake I was told.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

That's not too far from me, how do you get to fish it?

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

Mazza wrote:sounds really nice have you any photos

Sorry for late reply Mazza....i have been out roaching.....

It really is a lovely place ,but i didn`t take any pics to be honest.....try this though,picture in your minds eye the most amazing ,landscaped 50 acre lake in the grounds of a historic castle ,all fringed with lovely lily pads..the pads shimmering and glistening in the sunlight.every now and then the pads moving and shaking in a violent manner ,unseen shapes pushing through the lily stems...

Picture paradise in a piscatorial form or dimension......thats Sherborne lake...

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

JohnL wrote:That's not too far from me, how do you get to fish it?

Ok johnL...

to fish the place you have to be a member of Sherborne Angling club or similar,its all tied up with the castle owners i believe..It`s still owned by the same family, it seems for ever ! nothing to do with the National Trust etc,as i thought at first..

The guide i spoke to told me people come from `all over`to fish it........so i reckon they all have a Sherborne address then ..nudge nudge...... :Hahaha:

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

No need to live in Sherborne to join.... tickets available in Yeovil tackle shop. I fished it many years ago for pike and it has local reputation as a good tench water. Classic tench fishing is something of a rarity these days in this part of Somewhereset.... Although this is just over the border of course! Lovely lake. I believe the Raleigh family own the castle - definitely not NT.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”