The Super Wizard, is it less of a rod than a Wizard?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The Super Wizard, is it less of a rod than a Wizard?

Post by Nobby »

I understand the Avocet to be thicker than the Wizard, but continuing to a full 11 foot and 3 inches. However, post war Wizards are often pretty hefty so it might be that some of them are indeed the same diameter as an Avocet.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Nobby. Unfortunately, the rod I talk about had been badly restored and all writing removed, before I bought it, so I will never know the make, but the few clues I have suggest I named it well!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I think that all the Allcocks rods with sheet cork handles have a dowel under the cork, certainly my Isis does. I'm fairly sure that the B James rods such as the Avocet don't have a dowel handle, or at least those that are owned by some of my friends don't.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I now suspect my rod might be a post-war Wizard that had it's handle replaced at some point during a restoration, which may explain why Nobby thought it might be a JB Walker avon kit rod. But the mystery remains. Nevertheless, I'm sure it will prove to be nice to fish with, especially with the much longer handle.

Hemingway

PinkFairies
Stickleback

Post by PinkFairies »

Hello new to this forum so hello!
I bought a gold label Super Wizard cheap out of curiosity really as it has 22” cork shiv handle. Did Allcocks ever make a gold label Wizard with a cork shiv handle?
I have had a good look at it and if it’s been modified it’s a good job and I can’t see how it’s been done.
The butt section is the correct length, the whipping looks old and original, the fitting of the ferrule looks original the cane has been rolled to fit the ferrule and some old looking white twine coming out between the ferrule and the cane looks original so I don’t think the cane has been shortened at the ferrule end. The gold label looks to be in the correct position and that can’t be moved, the only thing wrong is the rubber button is missing and the butt cap has been badly glued on with araldite so I can’t get in that end to see if there’s whole cane through to the butt. Have to say the rod feels a lot better with the cork handle.
Any ideas, how has it been done? Could it be original? I don’t know.
All comments welcome 🙏
Dave

PinkFairies
Stickleback

Post by PinkFairies »

No

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I’m with JOC in this, the Super Wizards heavier lined guides spoil the action for float fishing, but two extra light wire guides help the action and keeping the line off the blank in damp weather, both mine have guides where Allcocks put them, but I built one with more guides, and lighter guides including the three before the tip guide with size 000 guides, and the largest guides only no.2 before an over sized butt guide, ten guides in all. Seemed to work well enough, one of the early brass furniture wizards with a much more ‘steely’ action too.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

My Gold label Wizard was refurbished by Wal and in standard trim feels quite unbalanced to trot with, lending credence to the idea that it was designed to fish with the reel below the hand... However one of Wal's 5" screw in butt extenders made a huge difference to the rod, enabling it to be used for trotting comfortably
It does feel quite soft and isn't as steely as I expected it to be (perhaps it had a hard life) but its a good user and who knows... perhaps "they are all like that sir"
For myself its a cracking Perch rod and I live in hopes to land a 3lber on it
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The shorter handled cane rods were designed by fly fisherfolk to be held like fly rods, with the reel positioned at the base of the butt. Otherwise they're top heavy and awkward to use.

Hemingway

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”