B James mk VI avon

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: B James mk VI avon

Post by Mushy »

Hi Bobby, welcome to the forum from a relatively new boy! you'll love it here, loads of knowledgable and friendly people.

I'd give the Chapmans 500 a try, a bit lighter in the tip than the B James, more suited for small water float fishing I would say. they come up on E Bay quite often, should get a "user" for £80 to £100, but its a gamble of course, ask loads of questions, study the pictures hard and check out the feedback.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Welcome to the forum Bobby :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thanks guys for this warm welcome, what a nice place this is. Best, Bobby

Buller
Rudd

Post by Buller »

I own a BJ Mk4 Avon and Carp. I'd describe the Avon's action as "progressive" or "through action" meaning that the rod has a parabolic taper IE under some stress the rod curves all the way through to the butt section. My Carp has a softish tip, but down in the middle and butt it's a beast, with loads of juice. I guess the idea is that if you hook a heavy fish you can protect the line with the more flexible tip but when you lay the rod flatter you can really take the wood to the fish. I love my Avon and in many respects it feels a little more refined than the Carp, ideal for smaller fish, although, as we all know, a certain record fish that Mr Yates caught was landed on an Avon. Bottom line.... got to have them both :Cool:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah yes but them Mr. Yates has a reputation for fishing light and he's reputed to have broken a fair few rods......including the tip off Mr. Walker's very own Excalibur that he took his record fish with.

Interesting that they shoul feel so different since they are the same taper....just different sizes. I suppose no two rods are identical though.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thanks guys for all the information. I get more and more confused about which rod would be the best. The BJ seems a good choice. But it is 2 piece, so more difficult to transport. It has also a serious price tag. The chapman 500 is a lot cheaper and 3 piece, the other rods of which I have never heard before seem to be difficult to find and likely too expensive for me. I think I leave it for some days and go float fishing with my Octofloat.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Take the plunge Bobby, even if its not right for you, the good thing is that quality cane holds its value so you'll be able to sell on OK.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Avon, at 10 feet feels nice in the hand...but it won't cast a light line too far and is a bit soft in action to mend line for trotting. It all depends on the style of fishing you prefer.
Your Octofloat is a good all-rounder and should handle carp to 10 lbs. OK.

An 11 foot Avon with a longer and finer tip is a different beast altogether. More of a through action all-rounder. People did make them.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thanks.
Mushy, I am afraid I´ll do it. Can´t really justify it, though...
Nobby, would you tell us who?
Best, Bobby

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Hi

You will find that a chapman 500 has a faster strike and is more versatile.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”