The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
MWithell
Chub

Re: The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

Post by MWithell »

My fibreglass float rod I've just resurrected is the same. The ferrules are like the glass equivalent of metal ferrules. I built it from a LERC blank in the mid seventies . It's a bit floppy compared to my newer rod but I've caught a lot of fish on it, including carp to 15lb. I've put some new rings on it, so we'll see how it goes. I'll be able to put some serious fishing time in next month.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

David wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:08 pm I know this is a very old post but I have only just found it. I have a match rod built by B James & Son that looks very much like the rod in question. Although mine is a 3 piece 13ft 1inch Match rod without a separate handle. It has its original cloth bag and label. It is the same colour and marked above the cork handle, B James & Son England. What is worth noting is that this rod and my rod are joined together in the opposite way to others. The male connecting piece is on the top section and pushes in to the female ferrule on the lower section and the next lower section join in the same way as split cane rods joined. All later rods have the female connection on the top piece that fits over a male spigot on the lower sections like all later rods join.
I am pretty sure that you are describing a rod that I once owned. Close whipped and of 'Ferruless' construction, not common and around the time that Jim Bruce and Ken Walker got together! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Interesting that one's seeing ferruleless spigot joints here as early as the late 50s. I believe Tony Fordham had claimed to have invented these but this must have been several years later. The issue was discussed in his obituary viewtopic.php?t=28220.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

David
Dace

Post by David »

I am not very good at computer operating. I'm 75 years of age and use my wife's computer. How do I attach photos to a post ? If I find out how I will attach some pics of my rods ferrules.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Stathamender wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:05 am Interesting that one's seeing ferruleless spigot joints here as early as the late 50s. I believe Tony Fordham had claimed to have invented these but this must have been several years later. The issue was discussed in his obituary viewtopic.php?t=28220.
So far as I am aware 'ferruless' joints are where the female section has extra wrapping of glass to strengthen it, to accommodate the male end. Spigot joints have a different section of tubular glass slid inside and glued into place so it protrudes from the end of a section. Then the next section is slid over it. I may not have explained this very well, but the two methods are distinctly different! :Hat:
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Excluding metal ferrules -
I always thought glass ferrules were described as 'ferruless' (male into female) - usually top/upper male - butt/lower section female. Usually reinforced!!

'Spigot' - as described above - male butt/lower section - female top/upper section

Then 'Overfit' with the lower section, male, being tapered to fit into the upper section, female. - - but no inserted spigot! Mainly used on that black stuff!

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

David wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:00 pm I am not very good at computer operating. I'm 75 years of age and use my wife's computer. How do I attach photos to a post ? If I find out how I will attach some pics of my rods ferrules.
Firstly ensure the file size of your photo is less than 500kb. Scroll down from the box you're writing your message in and you will see three tabs, of which one is Attachments. Click on Add file, then navigate to the folder your file is in, and click on the file. This should then be attached to your message. I must admit I've battled with this one! However, someone might be able to help better than me.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Olly wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:36 pm Excluding metal ferrules -
I always thought glass ferrules were described as 'ferruless' (male into female) - usually top/upper male - butt/lower section female. Usually reinforced!!

'Spigot' - as described above - male butt/lower section - female top/upper section

Then 'Overfit' with the lower section, male, being tapered to fit into the upper section, female. - - but no inserted spigot! Mainly used on that black stuff!
Spot on! :Ok:
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Thanks - but I know very little about making a cane rod from scratch - - - - but a glass blank I used to use/make rods! Including built-in quiver tips.

Perhaps a cane one but with ferrules fitted! And a stronger pair of glasses would definitely help !

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thanks Malcolm, I will get the wife to try it for me.
David

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”