ABU 506 drag problem

The ABU Reels forum.
Skinboy
Silver Bream

ABU 506 drag problem

Post by Skinboy »

Even with the drag knob fully tight the drag still slips between the main gear with click spring,friction washer and driving shaft.It doesn't take much pressure to make it slip.I have checked and all the parts are there and in the correct order.Any ideas anyone? :Hair out:

Chavender
Eel

Re: ABU 506 drag problem

Post by Chavender »

had a think ,& i had something simular once and the friction pad was missing ,it's on the main brass gear under the drive transfer axil thingy

you can just see it here under the drive transfer top edge

i had one with this abrasive disc missing (i guess it was either removed or just broke up) and it'd just keep slipping ,even after i replaced a missing pawl ,i super glued in simular disc .

and i've had ones that the abrasive disc was so soaked in grease/oil it wouldn't grip again giving the slippage condition ,this was easy to sort out ,heat the suker up ,to force the grease/oil out and rinse it down with white spirit and let it dry it out again

if the pawl is missing ,you might think its as tight as can be but you need the anti-reverse pawl in for you to tighten/wind up against ,this also has the effect that the winding cup won't undo ,as the gears have nothing too lock up against .when looking inside was the pawl in place

I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

Thanks,that was quick! A.R. pawl is there,there is a friction washer between the main gear and drive shaft thing,it's only very thin but could well be soaked in grease so I will try cleaning with white spirit and see if it works. John

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think your problem will lie in the handle assembly, check out the exploded diagram for your reel and make sure everything is assembled in its correct position on the shaft.

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

When the reel is slipping is it smooth or does it have a grating noise?

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

The reel clicks as it slips which is the springs on the main gear slipping round the slots on the drive shaft,all the assembly in the handle is present and correct.

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

Cleaned the drag washers with white spirit as Chavender suggested,reel is now spot on.Thanks for all your help! John

RightCharlie

Post by RightCharlie »

Great bit of info Chavender, I've usually replaced them when they get to that condition, will try cleaning em next time!

Return to “ABU Reels”