Zebco Cardinals

The ABU Reels forum.
CafeRacer
Dace

Zebco Cardinals

Post by CafeRacer »

I recently came across a Zebco Cardinal 6,it appears to be identical to a Cardinal 66.Was it just a badging excercise between ABU/Zebco, is the Zebco 6 as well engineered as a 66 ABU Cardinal?
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Re: Zebco Cardinals

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I think it was the Abu American market. Same reels, different badge.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Although this was posted sometime ago I feel it should be answered with some insight as to why Zebco was on the name plates of ABU reels.
This all goes back to the early years and the birth of the Abu Cardinal, being manufactured on a light scale Abu needed to increase volume to make the reels cost effective and compete against other manufacturers, Abu were hoping that Garcia would be their representative on the worlds largest market, this was refused as Tom Lenk had promised Mitchell never to sell ABU spinning reels.

With the refusal from Garcia Abu turned to Zebco who were the second biggest manufacturer on the American market, due to good relations with Ralph Lafferty, the President of Zebco, Abu and Len Borgstrom got the partnership underway.
Zebco at the time were focusing on closed face reels, it was thought the Cardinal would be the perfect complement to its own production lines, it marketing group were also the most professional in America.

One of the things that Zebco insisted on was keeping the name ABU on the reel and so became known as the brand "Zebco by ABU" much to Garcia's great chagrin (anger). The reels are identical to the reels we see here in Europe accept for the name plates, boxes are different print too.

Abu had some great years with Zebco until they opened their own factory, ABU GARCIA, in the United States.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well now that's the cat out of the bag BL! Long believing they were the same I'd been scouring US eBay for a bargain. But then the postage is high and I've had nothing but bad luck with items from the USA.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Always some bargains on there my friend, my boxed & unused Cardinal 66 for £48 delivered was quiet something, thats said If the package is picked out by the customs boys its another £20 in fines :Angry: Thats why mine go to Sweden first :Hahaha:
I had heard some people were bringing them into their collections which I feel is nice as its part of the history of Abu hence my purchase, so along with my 66 I also have a pretty rare Zebco 6X which I was pleased to aquire, only difference between the two are color and gear ratio :Thumb:

"BB"

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

There are indeed still some bargains. The only issue is that most U.S sellers now seem to be automatically customs processing at the checkout. Therefore ,it needs to be a serious bargain. Just today took delivery of a C.D 3000 reel (poor mans Suveran) for £17. With customs and P&P worked out to £33. The reel is immaculate and on first impressions MAYBE the smoothest in my collection, so I'm over the moon with it. I suppose as always you make your own decisions as to how much you desire an actual item and with a decided shortage of the above reel in Blighty I had to look Stateside.
Regards Mark

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I recently recieved a Zebco closed face spinner (an all chrome space age looking thing) from ebay along with an Ambidex and a nice bakelite centrepin, for less than £30 for the lot, and all work nicely. But I didn't Know Zebco was connected to Abu or that there was any interest in these reels. I'll post a pic later of the Zebco if you're interested! I've not yet decided if I have use for it though! Do you know if they are any good for spinning etc!? Is it worth much??
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Not sure If the Zebco space age reel is any good for spinning but they are obviously collectable to some people, If its like this one for instance then its worth a few quid
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380857952997? ... 1155054693

Mark on your post you mention the .com sellers figuring in the customs duty already, worth checking at times and paying them because its cheaper than getting a fine over here, you will pay the duty over there but save on the post Office nonsense we have here called a handling fee which is about £8.00 depending on final valuation fee of the item, Parcel Force charge a set rate for all parcels which I believe @ £11.50 OR it was

"BB"

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

My Zebco is similar to that one on the ebay link, but it has a big black button on the base for releasing line for casting. I'll post a pic or two later!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIXED-LOAD-OF ... true&rt=nc

It's the one on this link!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, that's one of the American style baitcasting reels for mounting on top of the rod. Rather hard...in fact very hard to find them in left-hand wind.

I rather enjoy this style of fishing for jacks and perch, but I've never had a baitcaster reel that wasn't capable of a big internal tangle in the right hands ( i.e: mine! ) and always carry the necessary spanner or screwdriver to dismantle the reel.

Return to “ABU Reels”