Float making raw materials

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Binbag
Stickleback

Float making raw materials

Post by Binbag »

Hello

Can anyone supply me with contact details of where I can can float making materials, Reed, cane, cork bodies balsa bodies etc. I am also after whipping silk and eyes for the floats. I am able to turn float bodies so don’t need completely preformed bodies.

Lastly what would those in the community recommend for varnish/lacquer for finishing.

Sorry if this has been asked before but finding it difficult to get answers from searches within the forum.

Thanks in advance
Binbag

MGs
Pike

Re: Float making raw materials

Post by MGs »

I've bought dowel and balsa here
https://www.fredaldous.co.uk/products/balsa-dowel-pack
https://www.fredaldous.co.uk/products/w ... 6010488974

Not float bodies, as I prefer to make my own.

Silk thread from here
https://pipers-silks.com/shop
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Well, Binbag, that's pretty easy!

Reed, elder pith, bird quills, cork - just have a look around you and you'll find all that for free. Well, for the cork you need to drink a few bottles of wine. But who'd complain about that? Bamboo skewers can be bought cheap in every grocery store. Your local haberdashery should be able to provide you with small safety pins for the eyes and silk or something similar (look for embroidery yarns) for the whippings.
I know, balsa is very popular for float making, but if you look at it's not the most sustainable material.
There's so much around us, that can be upcycled to beautiful, well working floats ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

If you have a look through this section of the forum linked below, you should find the answers you seek, it may take some time but a lot will be learnt along the way. Most materials can be collected from the wild such as Reeds, Teasel, Elder pith and Quill.
viewforum.php?f=61

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Further to Duebel's post. I do use bamboo, BBQ skewers but have found them to be a bit thin for all uses. The 4mm cane gives you the option to
drill in to it and fit an insert, possibly with the BBQ skewer. Similarly, having the wider stem gives a more visible tip. It can also be sanded down to give different profiles.
I'd just experiment and see what suits you and the floats you need. I've tried all sorts of things found around the house and garage. Some work, others don't. Unless you give it a go you wont know.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

A lot of high-end (made by top match anglers and custom float-makers, not just bashed out for the mass market by some big firm looking to cash in on a trend) stick floats from the "golden age" had a tell-tale streak of green stain on the upper part of the cane stem, showing they'd been turned (or whittled) down from garden-centre plant suppports.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I've been experimenting over the years with different cork ideas.

I use cork stoppers (around the size that would plug a test-tube) glued together, drilled out and then slightly sanded down to shape (by hand).
They are usually sold in packs of 25 for around 3 quid.

I also use the packs of cork sticks that carp fishermen use for popping baits up.

I should point out that my float-making skill is nowhere near the level of craftsmanship seen on this forum. I make functional floats which are very quick and easy to make and which I don't mind losing!
Russ

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Binbag, Just some encouragement to GET started. Good advice is on the web. Follow the Float making threads, videos and onto Utube.Its ALL first class stuff. I made my first float when I was about 11 yrs old, used it to death but still have it,abet repainted ! Float making has become an art form, old floats a kings ransom, but D.I.Y. will give you such a buzz all of its own.It rely does not matter a jot what the finished article looks when it disappears under the water.. You have scored. A tip I recommend to you and you will discover lots .Source some old floats that are in need of some t.l.c. and gain some experience you will be surprised how well they can be rejuvenated and have a new life. To make a start your shopping list need not be long, be resourceful.Good luck but be warned its additive!!!!!! Regards Tony

Binbag
Stickleback

Post by Binbag »

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The only thing I can’t find is information if the sourcing of the little eyes that you use on some floats.

Any suggestions for where I can find these.
Many thanks
Binbag

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Just buy a cheep packet of eyed hooks and cut the bend off.
If you need eyes for float stems

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”