Vintage fishing hooks

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Barbulus
Tench

Re: Vintage fishing hooks

Post by Barbulus »

I still have those marvellous cardboard packs of Au Lion D'or ... all sizes as long as they are 4,6, 8. Not used them in decades and decades. Modern hooks are in my opinion far far superior as much as the Au Lion D'or have a very fond memory association.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Here are a few old hooks in original packets I found the other day while looking for something else. I have loads of old hooks in packets but I think these are the oldest ones.

Wal.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:35 pm Here are a few old hooks in original packets I found the other day while looking for something else. I have loads of old hooks in packets but I think these are the oldest ones.

Wal.
Wonderful packaging!
What qualifies a hook to be described as "sneck"? I've seen "sneck" defined as "nose" but not sure how that translates to the shape of a hook. Maybe you could show us a picture or 2 of the hooks in question?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think a sneck bend is almost square. The doubles shown the right hand packet are sneck bent but I think the other pack is just a load of old assorted round bend hooks.

Here are a few more old hook and cast packets.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Wal.

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

I love the old packaging and artwork. Takes me back to rummaging through my old Grandad's fishing basket and tackle box when I was a kid.....thanks Wal
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:44 pm I think a sneck bend is almost square. The doubles shown the right hand packet are sneck bent but I think the other pack is just a load of old assorted round bend hooks.

Wal.
How times change! I was thinking of all those British companies and the people that they employed that have now disappeared.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Found these at the bottom of a box I bought recently, all hooks to gut in a variety of sizes - could anyone hazard a guess as to the date?
The Watcher by the Bridge

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:44 pm I think a sneck bend is almost square. The doubles shown the right hand packet are sneck bent but I think the other pack is just a load of old assorted round bend hooks.

Wal.
The Pegley Davies "Know How" brand packet with the fishing cat is lovely . The type face and style on the Lee of Redditch packet reminds me of the Ditchfield Wonder Books.
20200531_174818_resized.jpg
And just to prove that hair rigs are nothing new; here are some incorporating bone hooks to horsehair . There is even a piece of fake corn made from a roe deer's tooth. :Scared:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Wonderful looking bone hooks Kev. Where are they from?

Wal.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:06 pm Wonderful looking bone hooks Kev. Where are they from?

Wal.
I made them. To be honest, bone ( l tried different species ,cooked ,raw etc) is a poor material for small hooks .

Couldn't resist the hair rigs though🙂
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”