Vintage fishing hooks

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Vintage fishing hooks

Post by Coral Maestro »

I was checking through some old items of tackle today and came across these:

Nice to see items from Allcocks, Mordex and Bernard Sealey. The 3 hook worm rig by Allcocks is particularly interesting.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Vintage fishing hooks

Post by Catfish.017 »

I have a few of those Allcocks worm tackles. Just imagine trying to unhook a small Perch that may have swallowed that lot!

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

That takes me back further than I care to admit!!!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Catfish.017 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:50 am I have a few of those Allcocks worm tackles. Just imagine trying to unhook a small Perch that may have swallowed that lot!
Yes, they can be bad enough with just one hook. And how about bootlace eels?!!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Pennel Tackle - the worm was stretched length-ways with the 3 or 2 hooks! Head to tail - no escape from the hook for a fish destined for the table.

Still used in sea fishing.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Pennel and Stewart tackle for worming for salmonid species. Often cast upstream and trundled down - a considerable skill to master. Not often used or legal these days.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Details can be found in The Practical Angler - written by W C Stewart - where he complains about Pennel not giving him credit for the 3 hook Stewart Tackle.

Pennel reduced the number of hooks to 2 and claimed the invention as his own!

Isn't history interesting!

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon friends,a couple of years ago I went down to fish the club Water finding that I had forgotten my hooks,another member gave me a couple of hooks so saved the day,however the hooks were tied to Luron2 size 20 and the gauge looked a lot thicker than modern hooks,now those hooks were 40 yrs old, now how long does nylon line last ? Would modern prestretched line last as long ?I did read that florocarbon line lasts for ever.Your opinions. Reelmaker

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

About five years,on the interest I bought ( very cheaply)a huge quantity of Edgar Sealey Octopus-hooks sizes8-14.Each little plastic box contained 12 hooks.Each box contained the usual small piece of paper to prevent rust.I am still using these hooks ,principally for fly tying.I have kept all the boxes so anybody would like some send a PM as they are very usual for storing hook and fit nicely in the large plastic Stewart tackle boxes I use.
ImageImage
Mark Davies

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Penninelad wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:41 pm About five years,on the interest I bought ( very cheaply)a huge quantity of Edgar Sealey Octopus-hooks sizes8-14.Each little plastic box contained 12 hooks.Each box contained the usual small piece of paper to prevent rust.I am still using these hooks ,principally for fly tying.I have kept all the boxes so anybody would like some send a PM as they are very usual for storing hook and fit nicely in the large plastic Stewart tackle boxes I use.
ImageImage
Sealey have certainly made good use of the "Octopus" label.
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”