Battery powered Float

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Pickerel
Gudgeon

Battery powered Float

Post by Pickerel »

Hi
Came across this float this during a tackle sort out (who isn't at the moment...!

It is powered by a couple of watch batteries and is marked Brit Pat 1494953.

Other than that, I have no idea...! If it is of any interest to anyone on here, send me a pm and I will stick it in the post.

Regards - Pickerel

Thameside
Gudgeon

Re: Battery powered Float

Post by Thameside »

If possible could I have it. Have sent you a pm

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've caught many tench and carp using that model when I was a teenager night fishing at a local pond in York. I belive they first came out in the late seventies. I well remember going to Boots to find earing aid batteries for this float. Eventually the electronics went!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I remember those floats. Very heavy to cast and they leaked.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I remember them too. They were novel at the time and great fun the first time you cast out into the darkness. After a while though your eyes started to "play tricks" and I found I could then see two of them ... or it kept moving ... and then if it dipped it was difficult to then figure out if it was a genuine bite or not as the light still shone under the surface .... great fun. I think I went back to free-lined par boiled potatoes at that point. A delightful piece of angling "technology" though and it will give hours of fun if used or a fine talking point if put on the display shelf .....

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

My mate bought one, it triggered my imagination. I cut the top off a stick float and glued a beta light in the cut end. It was quite easy to see the bites because I shotted it so that it would lay at an angle on the surface which formed an arrow shape with its reflection. It was great for tench in the margins.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

I still use a battery powered 'lady finger' vibrator attached to my wire trace and inserted into a headless mackerel for Pike.
It works very well but there is no telling whether or not I would have caught anyway apart from my catch rate is better than others on the club gravel pit where I use it.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Aquaerial wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:05 pm I still use a battery powered 'lady finger' vibrator attached to my wire trace and inserted into a headless mackerel for Pike.
It works very well but there is no telling whether or not I would have caught anyway apart from my catch rate is better than others on the club gravel pit where I use it.
OMG! As they say in instant media circles . Above lays a wellhead of potential double entenre!
If this wasn't Gentlemens' forum someone would already have made a comment about "Sorting out the big girls. "..........
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

:laugh1:

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

Barbulus wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:33 am first time you cast out into the darkness. After a while though your eyes started to "play tricks" and I found I could then see two of them ... or it kept moving ... and then if it dipped it was difficult to then figure out if it was a genuine bite or not as the light still shone under the surface .... great fun.
We used to get the train from Waterloo station to Hampton Court & night fish where the river Molle met the Thames. This one night a friend's brother produced one of these magic floats that left us in awe of it(when you are 11 years old) As they were out of our price range & with winter coming ,which ment no more night fishing they were soon forgotten.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”