Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

I have just purchased Old Fishing Lures and Tackle 8th Edition by Carl F. Luckey and Russell E. Lewis on kindle.

I will probably get the The Best of British Baits by Chris Sandford nearer my birthday in June.

I was just wondering if there was anybody on the forum who has a keen interest in Lures. I find the history of them fascinating, also they're beautiful to look at, whether there British or American.

Thank you for your time and Stay Safe

:Thumb:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Marks7
Bleak

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Marks7 »

I’ve got a fair few both British and American but don’t use them much these days. The last time I used lures regularly was when I lived close to the Suffolk stour (twenty odd years ago).Chub in summer and pike and perch In winter.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

These are neither British or American I’m afraid but I thought they may be of interest

I stumbled across these lures in a floating fishing village Halong Bay, Vietnam during a recent holiday.
They appear to have a keel to keep them upright and a few more hooks than absolutely necessary!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Those are squid lures AllRounder. I have a collection of lures from classic American bass/musky lures to modern day hand made stick baits and sliders. I love collecting as much as fishing them.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

AllRounder wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:48 pm These are neither British or American I’m afraid but I thought they may be of interest

I stumbled across these lures in a floating fishing village Halong Bay, Vietnam during a recent holiday.
They appear to have a keel to keep them upright and a few more hooks than absolutely necessary!
Very interesting AllRounder and what find. Thanks for sharing.

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Marks7 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:11 pm I’ve got a fair few both British and American but don’t use them much these days. The last time I used lures regularly was when I lived close to the Suffolk stour (twenty odd years ago).Chub in summer and pike and perch In winter.
It still nice to have them, there a bit like vintage floats very collectable and usuable.

Last edited by Tonytoned on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Liphook wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:14 pm Those are squid lures AllRounder. I have a collection of lures from classic American bass/musky lures to modern day hand made stick baits and sliders. I love collecting as much as fishing them.
I have a few lures, nothing of much interest but the old wooden plugs intrigue me. I've learnt something already.
Thanks Liphook

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

AllRounder wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:48 pm These are neither British or American I’m afraid but I thought they may be of interest

They are Squid Jiggers. I believe that they originated in Japan and wouldn’t be at all surprised if that is where yours were made. They can be used to catch both squid and cuttlefish and I know that a few U.K. lure anglers use them on the south coast.

This is an Australian film that shows how they work

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I do like some of the older US lures and their history. Patterns like the Creek Chub Pikie are timeless and very effective for pike over here. Apparently, the early wooden ones were better and are now valuable. The Yanks love their lure fishing, it's only really taken off over here in the last decade or two, now we all have weird and wonderful bits of plastic, metal and rubber in our collections.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I bought a fair fewest from Harris Angling in the early nineties before lure fishing became popular! Still have to catch on some of them.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”