Line Life - kept in the dark

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Line Life - kept in the dark

Post by Barbelseeker »

I suppose, I am like many here, I have my favourite reels, but also some which I might use once or twice per year - typically my centre pins when trotting more for roach etc.

I normally keep the reels and spools in my garage, within a planning chest, so apart from the 2-3 yearly day top up of UV radiation they are kept in the dark. I normally re-spool with new line every 2 - 3 years. Would it be safe in these conditions to leave it longer. Does anyone have any information about deterioration of line kept within the dark. ? I have always wondered but not seen any definitive answer.

If I was using the reel/line every week, or twice every week - they would be re-spooled yearly or more frequently due to the stress and abrasion on the line.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Line Life - kept in the dark

Post by Beresford »

I certainly wouldn't leave it any longer. I'd test your line to see what it breaks at and make your decision based on your actual results with your line. In the grand scheme of things nylon line isn't really that expensive and the possibility of a fish trailing line, due to a break, should be enough encouragement to replace it as often as necessary.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A 300m spool of 4lb line can be bought for as little as £4. So changing regularly is quite easy - I change my centrepin trotting line 40m regularly - after 4-5 visits.

Braid on the other hand seems not to deteriorate - certainly not quickly!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Kept in the dark, nylon monofilament hardly deteriorates at all. I have some Luron in 6 and 8 pounds breaking strain that still has a nice degree of stretch and resilience left in it and this line must be at least seventy years old. I have Pescalon too in several breaking strains, equally well preserved and probably over fifty years old.

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

I would think it will last longer than 2-3 years with such little use.....
I’ve had it on my reels up to six years ...... I normally cut of the last few meters after a fishing session so I know there are no kinks etc on it so after several years the line gets less and less on the spool forcing a change.......
When the line goes you will notice a definite difference it snaps like cotton .....
It does deteriorate in sunlight but I don’t think water affects it much if at all......
So yes keep it in the dark cut the used bit off and test it before a session by tying a few knots in it and pulling it ...... it will break easily if it’s going out of date so to speak.
My dad used to joke that he had a spool of line on his reel from the front page of the angling times for years and years.... every year he used to say I wonder if it’s had it yet ? Of course one year after a few lost fish he swapped it 😂
A lot of line sold is years old before it’s bought...... I bought some team England line a few years ago I didn’t realise it hadn’t been produced for a few years until my mate pointed it out with a smile on his face.... the line was fine and I caught plenty on it.
Always look forward when walking or you might walk into a wall !

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

I'm afraid that I only use
Gamakatsu Super G-Line for all my fishing lines - and hook and rig lengths - Its about £9.50 per 150m.

Served me well over the years - don't think it has every failed except where I have over jelousy squssesd a shot on the line with my teeth - hence the other need for a good dentist.

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

Barbelseeker wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:30 pm I'm afraid that I only use
Gamakatsu Super G-Line for all my fishing lines - and hook and rig lengths - Its about £9.50 per 150m.

Served me well over the years - don't think it has every failed except where I have over jelousy squssesd a shot on the line with my teeth - hence the other need for a good dentist.
Never used it but I’m sure it’s a quality line.....
I like maxima and drennan float fish for my reel lines.
I only used to use bayer perlon for everything.
Most modern lines seem good quality though 👍
Always look forward when walking or you might walk into a wall !

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Barbelseeker wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:30 pm I'm afraid that I only use

I use that on some of my centrepins, especially for margin fishing in still waters. It certainly lasts 5 years because I was using it that old today! All of my reels are stored in a reel case or pokey bag inside a multiple reel case or tackle bag. So, in darkness.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I'm sure I have some lines which must be over 10 years old. They appear to have lost none of their strength when I test them.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”