Bobbin Indicators.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Old Man River
Eel

Bobbin Indicators.

Post by Old Man River »

I am not a Carp angler by any means, but occasionally do use Bobbin indicators, I usually make do with a cork with a nick in it, or a bit of twig with a split in it , when I am really going to town on a session into darkness I put an ealstic band around the twig and nip a chemical light onto it.

The weather has been really bad recently, plus there is really nowhere much very local I can fish without travelling over the accepted ditance, so I have been messing around in the workshop again.

I had a bit of cane left over from a couple of banksticks I made, so I had a think and came up with these, not traditional really, but they have a bit of a traditional look about them.

ImageImageImageImage

Its a bit difficult to show the lights when illuminated above, my Phone Camera isnt that good( neither am I where photography is concerned) but I hope you can make out when they are lit, one below is lit and one switched off.

The lights last about 8 hours, and they are powered with small hearing aid batteries, the bobbins are probably heavy enough for drop back, or running bites, but if they are a bit light, it is easy to remove the light and pop a couple of swan shot inside .

Thanks for looking. :Hat:

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Bobbin Indicators.

Post by Liphook »

Quality David :Thumb:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Well David they are super looking indeed - and for the traditional angler who likes all the kit as such - what a wonderful addition to the tackles - not just useful for Carps either - I can see those being very practical for the dusk into night sessions after Wye Barbel too.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

It doesn't matter if you never use them, they are fantastic.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Absolutely amazing!!!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Fantastic!

I'd like some for my Christmas tree :Thumb:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

They look great.
More than a hint of Traditional, elegant and functional, what more could you ask for :Hat:
Did you use led's as the light source?
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Silfield wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:03 pm They look great.
More than a hint of Traditional, elegant and functional, what more could you ask for :Hat:
Did you use led's as the light source?
Thanks for that Silfield , and everybody else....:Hat:

The lights are actually from the dreaded ‘bay, you can get them attached to little bells that clip to the top of beach rods... they have been around for years, I made a couple of floats for night fishing off harbour walls from them some years ago and realised they could be adapted for another use. You can buy them seperate or in different amounts, complete with batteries, with or without bells attached .

I would never actually use them on my own beach gear, they are too bulky and liable to fly off at the slightest bite when clipped on using the spring clip they come fitted with. Plus its is not
“De Rigueur “ to be seen with such bells clipped to the beach rods. :Chuckle:

David.
Last edited by Old Man River on Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

:drool: They are lovely, I have no problem with a bit of ancient and modern. I think Jules Verne had a set just like them... but they were steam driven.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

What a lovely combination of the old and the new! Steampunk angling perhaps!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”