Help

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Hovis
Tench

Help

Post by Hovis »

Hello chaps,

This cunning, fat little fisherman has got his wife to agree to letting him free the shackles of family life for the weekend and go and fish the Wye. Huzzar.

I'm staying here, https://www.whitelionross.com
, camping by the pub, and would like some tackle help for this particular section or recomendations for good day ticket sections nearby.

Never fished the Wye before and need to sort my gear for an early start Friday.

Advice welcome.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Help

Post by Dave Burr »

You will need a rod capable of handling hard fighting fish in a strong current (even without the spate that is likely by then), that is also capable of handling 2-3oz leads or feeders and line of at least 8lb bs to match. A MkIV type is adequate and a fixed spool recommended unless you can happily Wallis cast 20 yards plus. Obviously hooks need to be strong too, none of those namby pamby fine wire match jobbies that straighten on a decent gudgeon.

For any advice there's a decent tackle shop in Ross on Wye to get bait and information on where you can fish etc.

By the way - if you don't resort to a bait-running reel, leave your reel with the clutch set just tight enough to overcome the current when you are fishing. Barbel have a habit of collecting tackle and the big prize is a full rod and reel dragged across the river. It happens all too often and you only need to look away for a second. You have been warned :Wink:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Thanks Dave. I've managed to snag a few barbel in the past so know how hard they fight.

Looks like a pair of mkIV, a speedia and an altex along with some 10lb line and a large slice of luck!

It just needs to stop raining now!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Don't worry too much about high water as any crease is likely to hold fish either in or on either the inner or outer edge. Make sure your lead doesn't move once it has hit bottom that way it is less likely to find a snag.

The difficult conditions are when there's 2-3 foot of water on. It makes the river very difficult to fish and, if the river's dropping, tends to pulse and surge. But there's always a bite somewhere you just need to find it.

Bait wise, if the water is coloured meat or cheese paste work well, pellets are also taken with relish of course. Use a 2-3' hooklink if possible.

I hope you catch :fishing1:

Return to “River Wye”