Fishing on the Wye tomorrow (Friday 27th) any thoughts on water levels?

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Fishing on the Wye tomorrow (Friday 27th) any thoughts on water levels?

Post by Tengisgol »

Troydog wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:11 pm The river is perfect. Height 1.5m and falling, colour 4/10 on the Heinz Tomato soup scale, temperature 7.4 deg C, as it was yesterday.
So I changed swims and changed baits. After 14 perch averaging one and a half pounds yesterday, today resulted in 16 roach with the best three weighing about 1lb 12 ounces. Half the other fish did not need the landing net. Ive had some three dozen two pound roach from the Wye these last 40 years, so I don’t weigh fish that I don’t think will be ‘twos’.
I hope that you had a good day Tengisgol.
It was a truly glorious day; as you said, the colour came out as the water dropped and the heavy mist stayed all day to keep the temperature up.

Looks like you had a catch of roach downstream to be proud of!

It was chub, grayling and trout up at Bredwardine with a best fish of just under five pounds. I lost a grayling in the fast water that was a good fish but it was the backdrop and company that made the day for me.

That will likely be my last visit to the Wye this season, with good luck I’ll be back next summer sometime.

All the best and may all your roach be monsters.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Troydog
Tench

Re: Fishing on the Wye tomorrow (Friday 27th) any thoughts on water levels?

Post by Troydog »

Thank you Tengisgol - back end is a great time to fish the Wye, providing the river is right, or nearly right. My advice would be to drop down stream if you are looking for quality bags of roach. If its peace, tranquillity and beautiful surroundings you and your friends want, then anywhere at or upstream of Bredwardine should hit the spot!!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “River Wye”