Gerald Berth-Jones handmade Floats

This forum belongs to Gerry & May Berth-Jones.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: Gerald Berth-Jones handmade Floats

Post by Gary Bills »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:There is every possibility, FB. I for one like to think of it that way sir... :Wink:
Me too, - why not? :Thumb:

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

......'ere be Quicksand!!! :Scared:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:When the pool was drained it was apparent that there was no deep hole in Pitchfords. Before, and even during the folming of APFA is was "Reputed to be bottomless". There are carp holes though, shallow holes that turn up in various places, probably caused by carp feeding vigourously on blodworm beds or my special wonder bait. I think the centre channel off the dam between the boathouse and cranstouns is about the deepest part, and we're probably talking around 10 feet.

But it has never actually been 'drained' has it?
The level has been lowered considerably - but the biggest carp seem to avoid being seen or netted on those occasions.
If it had been completely drained then there would be no mystery - such as the long common or the big linear.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

JAA wrote:...but like all such lakes it is silting up, so unless it's drained and de-silted at some point, it will simply cease to be. It can pay to part drain, exposing 50-70% of the bed in the shallow parts and leaving it to dry out for several months - this can compact the silt and help it to rot down, but it's a stop-gap in the inevitable progression to marsh.
The Redmire shallows were completely de-silted a few years ago - a large project filling a huge pit with the silt.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

JAA wrote:
Julian wrote:
JAA wrote:...but like all such lakes it is silting up, so unless it's drained and de-silted at some point, it will simply cease to be. It can pay to part drain, exposing 50-70% of the bed in the shallow parts and leaving it to dry out for several months - this can compact the silt and help it to rot down, but it's a stop-gap in the inevitable progression to marsh.
The Redmire shallows were completely de-silted a few years ago - a large project filling a huge pit with the silt.
Good to know, I wonder if anyone will ever bite the bullets and do the whole job? Might kill the mystery though.

Unlikely until it became desperate - as you say it would ruin the mstery - which is what Redmire has always had.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Let me assure you that the silt in the Redmire shallows is still very very deep, as I found out last summer. I was almost lost FOREVER!!! :shocked:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Let me assure you that the silt in the Redmire shallows is still very very deep, as I found out last summer. I was almost lost FOREVER!!! :shocked:
With the rain last year we've had a nightmare with the silt, and the new potato crops around the pool are not helping.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Let me assure you that the silt in the Redmire shallows is still very very deep, as I found out last summer. I was almost lost FOREVER!!! :shocked:
You just wanted to do a CY :Hahaha:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

If the lake was formed by damming a stream, and the references to a dam would suggest this was the case, then under what circumstances would the original deepest part be anywhere other than the point where the old stream bed meets the dam*? This may well back-fill with silt, creeping up-catchment from the dam, but the deepest point should remain somewhere along the stream - should it not?

Baffled of Barnet.

* A very ambitious Gypsy Well? :Chuckle:
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Indeed, as is the whole marsh area except to my surprised the centre of the bed of the inlet stream which is really quite firm but stray off it for a few steps and you are up to your knees!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Gerry & May Berth-Jones”