It's always been in my blood

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

It's always been in my blood

Post by Bobthefloat »

This is a picture of my grandad who I never knew, fishing the Thames. I'd love to know where it was and what rod and reel he was using but can't make it out.
I've fished and loved the Thames all my life and only recently found out about my grandad and this picture.

Rip Grandad Bob :fishing1:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: It's always been in my blood

Post by Silfield »

Good luck with your quest to find out more information about the photo, it would be good to find the location etc and if possible recreate the scene.
Last year I went back to the river that runs through the country estate in Northumberland where my Grandfather was head gamekeeper. I had grown up on stories of him tickling wild brownies from the Wansbeck and had seen photos of his favourite fishing spot on the river and was amazed that I could locate it from a 50+ year old photo. I too didnt know my grandfather but have met many people that stated that we were very similar in so many ways and it was rather a humbling experience sitting on the bank where he would have sat or passed by and watching the wild browns sipping sedges from the water surface.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The body of the reel looks round. That coupled with the colour and handle shape makes me think it's a Mitchell 304 reel.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

The bridge should be the defining factor for location (being a northerner, I can't help much more). It would be lovely if you find the spot and return to fish it.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Not my neck of the woods by a long chalk, however I would concur with the Mitchell 308 CAP identification.

Although my Dad fished as a youngster and he had enough knowledge to teach me also as a youngster, as did his Dad teach
him, neither of them fished as an adult. I therefore think you are indeed lucky to have such an angling influence in your life. As you say, it’s in your blood.

Incidentally, has his name got anything to do with your forum username...or just unintended coincidence which adds more weight to it :Wink:

I alluded to my non fishing Dad and Grandad but there was someone who became a mentor of whom all these years later I owe a debt of gratitude which would probably surprise him if he were still alive today.

If you are remotely interested -

viewtopic.php?f=365&t=24220&sid=09ddf3b ... 002eccd241

Enjoy your angling heritage and memories. They are priceless :fishing1: :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes the bridge is definitely the key here I think. There maybe a couple of family members who could possibly shed some light.
I thought I'd came from a non angling family until my Nan told me about their Thames fishing trips and there could be a couple more photos lurking somewhere which would be great.
And Neil

Incidentally, has his name got anything to do with your forum username...or just unintended coincidence which adds more weight to it :Wink:

My grandads real name was Ronald Dennington but everyone called him Bob and my mum or nan does not know why. And this I've only just found out which is a very strange coincidence indeed

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I envy you your family history in fishing. There was no-one in my family who was remotely interested. My dad was 40 when I was born and had been, and still was, a keen sportsman. He was still playing cricket to a good standard into his mid 50's and my joy was playing with him in the same team.
As for fishing, he was just not interested.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Bob Brookes wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm I envy you your family history in fishing. There was no-one in my family who was remotely interested. My dad was 40 when I was born and had been, and still was, a keen sportsman. He was still playing cricket to a good standard into his mid 50's and my joy was playing with him in the same team.
As for fishing, he was just not interested.
Same with my Old man he never got fishing tbh but did drop me off and pick me up sometimes and moaned like hell about the smell on the way home!
Boxing is our thing.
My grandad died of a heart attack at 40 something so I never got to fish with him

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Mums almost certain that is Walton on Thames not far from me now. The landscape looks very different down there now though with lots of structural changes

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

This is it today!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “River Thames”