River Thames Putney.To. Cricklade.

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Mr B
Arctic Char

River Thames Putney.To. Cricklade.

Post by Mr B »

I have a lovely old book (Ward, Lock and co) well quit a collection of them really.
This one is very interesting. (There is a date in ink in the book 1938, might have been a gift?)
It’s all about The River Thames, some of you might have a copy.
It has a list of hotels to stay in, boat and punt hire and a good few pages at the back of the book on fishing, we’re to go and what tackle to use and what fish to expect.
I’ve had it for years but often refer to it and look at the marvellous maps it contains.
I’m just going make a cup of tea and have a read.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: River Thames Putney.To. Cricklade.

Post by Paul F »

Over the decades there have been hundreds of guides and maps of the Thames, they are great sources of the history of the Thames, more than any UK river, one to cherish

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

What a river! Love it.
Yes, lots of them.. this is a good one, always have enjoyed reading it.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have a similar book with the fold out maps on the lake district, I borrowed it from a lad at work over 30yrs ago, he left and I never saw him again. They are beautiful little books.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I grew up with The Thames as my main river to fish, so I visited most of the available stretches over the years. It will always be my favourite river for too many reasons to list, but just it's history fascinates me!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That looks wonderful. I have a friend who collects that series of travel books, amongst others. He has loaned me the odd one for a read in the past and they are always interesting. I must ask if he has that one.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

This may be of interest ...

I have a 6th edition copy of "Fishing for Londoners" edited by Bill Howes (pub. Ernest Benn. 1978.), life long friend and angling companion of Harvey Torbett.

There are 5 main chapters, each with maps ... the first being on the Thames itself, and the next 4 on fisheries in the areas of The North West, the South West, the South East, and the North East.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I met Bill Howes several times when we were doing a photoshoot and/or doing photos of big fish for the papers.

First place & river I fished - at the end of my road for 20+ years.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I love maps so obviously maps of fishing hold an even greater interest :Sun:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

What a lovely little book! I have a very deep connection with the Thames myself :Hat:

Return to “River Thames”