thames info

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Boston

thames info

Post by Boston »

With regards to the fishing I'm still finding my feet down here and would like to know about the Thames,I know nothing about the river,apart from the upper Thames being a waste of time,for me anyway...so I'm after some info please....does it flood the same as say, the avon,kennet and the likes,does it fish better if coloured,where could I try on a day ticket or which clubs to join,what's it like at donnington or reading etc ...I have no idea so i thought the best people to ask for direction would be you guys...thankyou for any help

DaceAce
Eel

Re: thames info

Post by DaceAce »

Oxford area has some good fishing though you need blinkers to ignore the rowers, not that they affect the fishing but can make life difficult, especially at Donnington. More info from Fat Phil's tackle shop in Abingdon Road, Oxford. Best affiliated club to Oxford DAA (they have Medley to Iffley - see their website) is Littlemoor AS at £10 per year which is the one I get even though it's a long drive for a day. Parking around Oxford near the river not always easy and I do some long walks.

In the Reading area some free fishing but also Reading DAA have plenty of good water.

This year the floods have dominated the Thames and made it largely unfishable this winter - I last got on it at Oxford on 14th Nov when the Maidenhead flow was 69 cumecs and just fishable, currently 173 cumecs. I use the rowing clubs websites like Maidenhead rowing club which has a link to Isis (Oxford) level as well as these give a better idea of flow than the EA sites which are hard to predict as the Thames has, as Bluedun has said, automated weirs that trim the level unless it's very high. On other rivers it's easier to know what's happening like the Dorset Stour - if it's up 3ft it's up 3ft, but on the Thames they sometimes drop the level before a flood. Coloured water on the Thames usually means bream, possibly roach and barbel. If it's clear then more likely chub or perch. Float angler though I am, feeder fishing is often the name of the game on the Thames and it makes a pleasant change.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Check out the RDAA forum they have a good in depth section on the Thames. The Thames is my river so I will give you more info when I have a pc in front of me!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Basically, you will catch anywhere on the Thames near Reading, but you will catch ten times more and bigger fish if you night fish. Hot spots include Kings Meadow for carp , bream, and barbel (even one or two catfish in the weir at Caversham), the promenade at Tesco down to Kennet Mouth, the stretch from Kennet mouth to Wokingham Canoe club (all of these stretches are run together for about 1 mile and are free) and are also good for big shoals of bream to 8lb, and perch go to 5lb. The Oracle stretch is also good but you have to pay, security guards collect on the bank and it is about £5. From the Oracle to Sonning Lock is a waste of time, the far bank is RDAA controlled, and in my opinion unless you fish the weir swims (either side of the weir) you are wasting your time. Further down, in winter below Sonning lock is free and offers good pike fishing but the banks are very high unless the river is in flood, and then it can be very good fishing. Below the lock at Sonning offers very little free fishing, and is mainly club water (nor RDAA), and only a few local kids fish this stretch at the free spots! Further towards Shiplake is all club water (not RDAA). For the best swims I would opt for the one near Kennet mouth and the one near Wokingham Canoe club. But success will depend on your tactics and what you are after. I would feeder fish with an open ended feeder, with sweetcorn or maggots, or compost worms/corn in autumn, at least until midnight.

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Northmoor Weir & Appleton are day ticket - quite cheap - big perch & chub/carp. Phone: Cathie Little to book on 07974309958.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hello BarryK

I looked at the TAC website and noticed the Thames tench record is up for grabs. Does one need a photo for this, my son caught a 7 1/2lb tench a few years ago but we did'nt photograph it.

Also, is the Thames eel record really only 5lb2oz? That makes my pb only 2oz off the record. I've seen 2 eels caught that were 5lb, and many more in the 4-5lb bracket, and I'm pretty sure there are many much bigger. I've also seen photo's of eels that some Poles caught a few years ago in a lake that is connected to the Thames, and they must have been at least 6-7lb if not bigger (sadly, the other photo's they showed me were the eels being barbecued).

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've just joined TAC. Seemed a good idea since I live on the river!

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well I tried to join! TAC does not appear to be very good at getting back to folk, I would have thought I would have recieved an email by now confirming my membership etc. BarryK, is this normal?

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well I thought I had, but they have not emailed me back yet!?

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks BarryK, but they did not issue me with any password etc, so I've re-applied (re-filled the e-form), so I will just wait and see. Perhaps they do not like boaters, especially those that live aboard like myself. We get a lot of bad press because many landlubbers (and Thames user groups) think we are all a bunch of good for nothings living off the state etc, and they do not realise many of us have professional jobs (teachers etc) and choose to live on boats as a life style! I'll let you know if and when they send me any log on details!

Hemingway

Return to “River Thames”