Sounds like a cow falling in.....

Enter this forum only if you dare.
RobGoodwin
Minnow

Sounds like a cow falling in.....

Post by RobGoodwin »

A couple of years ago I was quietly prospecting with a lobworm, minding my own business, on the banks of the Derbyshire Dove. I was hoping for a chub or maybe a big perch. It was a quiet, lovely summer's evening and all was right with the world. Suddenly, the silence was shattered by a huge splash, follwed by a tsunami wave the likes of which I had never seen in over 50 years of fishing. I could hear much bellowing and heavy breathing upsteam but all was out of sight due to the treeline. "Sounds like a cow falling in" I said to myself, and 10 seconds later I witnessed the seriously bizzare sight of a cow ploughing freestyle through my swim. She sailed downstream to a shallow gravel reach and managed to get out at that point, none the worse for her adventure, but on the wrong bank. I phoned our club chairman who alerted the farmer. I now know what a cow falling in sounds like. You couldn't mistake it for anything else really and I chalked that one up as a "first".

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Sounds like a cow falling in.....

Post by Pallenpool »

Never heard or seen that - but have witnessed a herd walking through a river that ventured up to there midriffs- there was a fair amount of noise with this debacle too. I think they quite enjoy the cooling water on hot summer days -
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

A few years ago , one evening I was sat down at the bottom of a sloping bank on the River Ribble, there were bushes and trees behind me, I had found my way there from upstream as access behind the swim was nigh on impossible. I was sat quietly when suddenly the silence was shattered by the sounds of branches being snapped lik matchsticks, and an ear splitting bellowing , a crashing and a general hulabalooo....As soon as I heard the noise I realised that whatever it was was right behind me and heading in my direction fast, I jumped up, turned around preparing to leg it, and saw a cow careering down the slope on its side.It crashed into a tree which was about big enough to stop its downward slide toward me.

I was a bit gobsmacked, thinking that maybe it had broken a leg,due to the severity of the fall, and due also to the unholy row it was making , before I had time to gather my thoughts, the cow somehow got to its feet and crashed and bashed its way back up the banking , leaving a trail of horticultural destruction behind it .

I always think to myself that if it had not been for the tree, the cow would very likley have ended up exactly where I had been fishing , and probably on top of me .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

You would have just pushed it out of the way if it had landed on you - :Hahaha:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:07 pm You would have just pushed it out of the way if it had landed on you - :Hahaha:
I seem to remember a similar incident last year .... but he didnt have horns, or udders, just a very muddy set of waterproofs. Luckily it happened a little way downstream from me.

:fish:

I can laugh about it now, then it was quite a different matter . :Chuckle:

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Pallenpool wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:07 pm You would have just pushed it out of the way if it had landed on you - :Hahaha:
I seem to remember a similar incident last year .... but he didnt have horns, or udders, just a very muddy set of waterproofs. Luckily it happened a little way downstream from me.

:fish:

I can laugh about it now, then it was quite a different matter . :Chuckle:

David
Yes! you did seem a little concerned - well not initially - it was only when I presented the pieces of the MKIV did you become alarmingly concerned :laugh1:

Heraclitus

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Reminds me of an old friend who some years ago was driving along, happy as Larry, when without any warning a cow landed on the bonnet of her car. Needless to say, the cow upped and walked away, leaving her car a right off, not to mention her in shock!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Night fishing at 14 years of age ............

ever heard a cow cough ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Spent the day preparing a lovely evening barbel swim on the little river Lugg. Settled in as the light faded,fish were already over the bait when - a cow did a sort of river dance on the bank before completely losing control and landed, broadside right opposite me. It swam to the cattle drink and escaped, watched by the rest of the herd that had lined the bank.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Barbel fishing the Kennet nearing midnight - black as black! Lots of roaring and crashing about on the opposite bank - getting nearer it seemed. Opposite side of the river - whatever it is shouldn't be a problem I thought, arming my self with the landing net pole. The sounds eventually were right opposite me in a small bunch of trees & bushes on the banks edge - where the barbel lay. Suddenly an almighty crash and followed by an enormous splash - everything is exaggerated in the dark due to the stillness.
Then splosh splosh splash splash and a huge ripples in the river as I turned on my head torch - whatever it was is was coming to get me. Panic!!
Then a small pair of horns appear in my torchlight - a roe buck!! I shone my torch at it, waved my hands whilst shouting at it. Thankfully it saw and heard my racket and swam downstream to exit the river.
A pair of bucks must have been jousting with each other, the one near me having lost the battle - I had had visions before of wild pig, giant otters, lion due to the roaring -- all obviously totally unfounded!! Was I relieved!!

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”