Dubarry boots

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Dubarry boots

Post by Shaun Harrison »

BendSomeCane wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:18 am I have worn a pair of dubarry wexford boots for around 11years now.
They are excellent... however and this is big .. do not expect them to be waterproof.

Despite years of cleaning them and rubbing grease of whatever sorts into them they never stay waterproof, the best thing is to buy a pair of waterproof socks.

Great soft comfortable boots but they have issues..

Bendsomecane
That is exactly what I had always been wary of. Thanks for confirming Bendsomecane.

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Im thinking of getting a pair of Dubarry boots and would appreciate some advice please chaps. Basically I have issues with all of my toes, Im guessing its Arthritis, they ache when I walk more than this time lasy year. I love my Argyll wellies for muddy walking, Scarpa and Meidl boots for dry conditions. I walk a lot, of course its muddy everywhere so boots are sort of out the question in my area which is why I have been reverting to wellies. My feet need a firmer/stiff/ grip which the boots give me and the higher waterproof protection which wellies give me. The wellies sole is far too flexy which makes my feet ache a lot more so Im thinking about a pair of Dubarry boots.
I'm a Beater at shoots (which is not the reason for wanting these!), walking to them from my place, stading around in mud, walking a lot during the day.
Does anyone know a stockist in Hertfordshire/Essex where I could try various models on, I have googled but they seem to be in flippin Chelsea London!.

Are the soles flexy like a welly, whats the grip like?.

Thanks

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Gobio Gobio wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:54 pm Im thinking of getting a pair of Dubarry boots and would appreciate some advice please chaps. Basically I have issues with all of my toes, Im guessing its Arthritis, they ache when I walk more than this time lasy year. I love my Argyll wellies for muddy walking, Scarpa and Meidl boots for dry conditions. I walk a lot, of course its muddy everywhere so boots are sort of out the question in my area which is why I have been reverting to wellies. My feet need a firmer/stiff/ grip which the boots give me and the higher waterproof protection which wellies give me. The wellies sole is far too flexy which makes my feet ache a lot more so Im thinking about a pair of Dubarry boots.
I'm a Beater at shoots (which is not the reason for wanting these!), walking to them from my place, stading around in mud, walking a lot during the day.
Does anyone know a stockist in Hertfordshire/Essex where I could try various models on, I have googled but they seem to be in flippin Chelsea London!.

Thanks
Why do you think they are only available in Chelsea?
Because the are too expensive but great for posing.
£80 worth of Skeetex Field Boots have never let me down. Very warm and comfortable with replaceable fleece liners.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Fredline wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:08 pm Why do you think they are only available in Chelsea?
£80 worth of Skeetex Field Boots have never let me down. Very warm and comfortable with replaceable fleece liners.
There not only available in Chelsea, thats their flagship store. I just looked again, there sold in Hatfield, Wheathampstead, Clavering, Shefford, Saffron Walden, Hemel Hempstead, Dunmow.......
So are you saying there rubbish, only good for posing?
I wore Skeetex boots back in the 70/80's, and thats where I will be leaving them.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Gobio Gobio wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:27 pm
Fredline wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:08 pm Why do you think they are only available in Chelsea?
There not only available in Chelsea, thats their flagship store. I just looked again, there sold in Hatfield, Wheathampstead, Clavering, Shefford, Saffron Walden, Hemel Hempstead, Dunmow.......
So are you saying there rubbish, only good for posing?
I wore Skeetex boots back in the 70/80's, and thats where I will be leaving them.
Where did I use the word rubbish?
Where did I say they are only good for posing?
Skeetex boots 70/80's that is one thing you got right. Try these Skeetex 2020's.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Dubarry are for utter Lords. Once made in Eire and worn by d' nobbs, they are now made elsewhere and worn by even bigger fashionistas. Get some proper tools for the job or look like a nob with wet feet. I say this as a keeper for the glitterati - even they won't wear tat after a season on the limelight.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Gobio Gobio wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:54 pm Im thinking of getting a pair of Dubarry boots and would appreciate some advice please chaps. Basically I have issues with all of my toes, Im guessing its Arthritis, they ache when I walk more than this time lasy year. I love my Argyll wellies for muddy walking, Scarpa and Meidl boots for dry conditions. I walk a lot, of course its muddy everywhere so boots are sort of out the question in my area which is why I have been reverting to wellies. My feet need a firmer/stiff/ grip which the boots give me and the higher waterproof protection which wellies give me. The wellies sole is far too flexy which makes my feet ache a lot more so Im thinking about a pair of Dubarry boots.

Thanks
I would say give the modern skee tex field boots a go. For the price they could be just what you seem to need.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Skeetex look good for walking along the bank but when the swim is a bit marshy - following or during floods like now - I prefer something near higher on the leg! Occasionally having to wear waders - mud & water above knee height - to land the fish. You cannot drag a big pike up the bank.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Neoprene wellies... £15 from Lidl (if it's wet or splashing about)

Karrimore leather walking boots and gaiters £65 House of Fraser (if the grass is damp)

Dublin boots £130 (if its fairly dry)

Bob Roberts neoprene waders, forget how much(if I need to wade or cross water)

I've found that the right boots for the conditions works for me... no one bit of footwear suits every eventuality
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Where did you say they are only good for posing?
Fredline wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:08 pm Because the are too expensive but great for posing.
Fredline wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:08 pm Where did I use the word rubbish?
Maybe not as clear as posing but implied they were rubbish.
Liphook wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:33 am Get some proper tools for the job or look like a nob with wet feet.
And what would the proper boots for this nob be please Liphook?

I am after something like a welly, stiffer soled with plenty of grip. Im not walking across damp grass, walking across muddy fields or woods in neoprene waders.

Wish I had never asked.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”