Recommendation for trousers

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Recommendation for trousers

Post by Bobthefloat »

I'm looking for some decent hard wearing trousers.
I quite like the look of the jack pyke weardales.
My usual moleskins are neither wind or waterproof so time for a change any recommendations guys?

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Recommendation for trousers

Post by Watermole+ »

Terry/Bob..I don't know if it would be the sort of thing that you are looking for, but I bought a pair of Barbour lined trousers to go with a new jacket, which are worn as such next to the skin and not just overtrousers.

They are of a very soft, lined, green coloured material with deep pockets and adjustable, velcro fastening lower legs, are breathable, warm, extremely comfortable to wear and 100% waterproof & windproof..

They were far from cheap, but after 12 years wear, they are still as good as new and in my opinion, were worth every penny.

With regards, :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The hardest wearing trousers I've ever had have been military 'combats' followed by denim. However, the latter are just about the worst thing to get wet in as they take an age to dry. I dislike wearing military camouflage; it's at odds with my non-combative approach to angling.

It might be worth looking at hiking gear.

The other option, which is what I do when trout fishing afloat when do you sometimes get really wet, is simply to wear a pair of high quality waterproof over trousers. I have a pair made by Wychwood that are excellent. They are of course properly waterproof not merely water resistant, hard wearing and the extra layer will help keep you warm. The added advantage is that you can wear whatever trousers you like underneath and simply take the waterproofs off for the drive home, or for a trip to the pub after fishing.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Bobthefloat wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:59 am I'm looking for some decent hard wearing trousers.
My usual moleskins are neither wind or waterproof so time for a change any recommendations guys?
I started to wear these this year and absolutely love them. The first 'fitted' waterproof trousers I have ever owned. No-one would know I am wearing waterproofs, they just look like normal trousers.

For what it's worth I have used their boots for years too and this year replaced with exactly the same as I had been so pleased with them and also needed to replace my Smock. I was using a Ridgeline one but decided to give a Jack Pyke one a go as a change and love it.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The best trousers in the world, bar none, are made by Fortis clothing.

https://www.fortisclothing.co.uk/

Made to measure, rip stock cotton, variety of styles, colours, made in Devon, very friendly and helpful staff.

I bought their trousers at a game fair decades ago and abused them daily. They dry in minutes and are nettle proof. I don't have any connection with the company but I highly recommend them.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I use and highly recommend trousers - and jackets - by Deerhunter. That auction site occasionally has them at reduced prices. Very hard wearing - nettle and bramble thorn proof - waterproof and look like trousers!

A couple of other Forum members also use them.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Just ordered a pair of the Jack Pyke trousers for myself.

Edit: and the boots. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:43 am The best trousers in the world, bar none

That is a sweeping statement if ever I saw one! It would be a very busy man who had tried on every pair of trousers available in the world - how on earth do you find time to go fishing? :laugh1:

As a gamekeeper, ghillie, fishery manager, general dogsbody and chief strimmmer I've been through plenty of outdoor clothing from the cheap to the finest bespoke. Quite simply most brands will have a few cherries in their bunch, but there isn't one that doesn't have the occasional QC slip or materials failure. I say this having consulted for years for one of Britain's most acclaimed brands worthy of a Royal Warrant. Some are better value than others but with added expense usually comes better design, materials and - most essentially - quality control backed with good customer/dealer service. Just as in the world of modern tackle there are many generic items across brands that have odd tweeks to spec/colour/design to differentiate one brand from the next. This is because there are a finite number of large scale factories to choose from and economies of scale apply! Very few brands actually make any, never mind all, of their own garments in-house. Similarly there are only a small number of Wm.Gore licensed factories that meet the standards required to manufacture Goretex branded products. Obviously other fabric manufacturers have copied the WVPM 'breathable' idea with the likes of eVent, hydrovent, H2NO etc etc. It is well known in the rag trade that none of them meet the stringent finishing and QC requirements set by Wm.Gore, but that they do provide a similar product at much lower unit price but therefore with a higher expected failure/return level. This is allowed for in the staged pricing calculations. Despite the smoke and mirrors of the marketeers it's not rocket science. Add in fashion and brand appeal and the public will actively buy a lesser product from the 'on trend' brand at a price far exceeding that of the better performing product from a lesser brand. That is the wheel, and it keeps turning.

If I was pushed to recommend one manufacturer above all others it would be Halkon Hunt. Made in the UK, bespoke if you need it, Wm.Gore licensed, acclaimed customer service and you can buy direct. I will point out that I have absolutely no connection with Halkon Hunt at all. All the items I have bought have been at full factory price with my own hard earned money. I get products given to me by manufacturers/brands wanting 'product placement', most of it is what I'd describe as 'similar tat' that doesn't stand the test of abuse over time. Almost everything looks good straight out of the packaging!

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Bobthefloat wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:59 am I'm looking for some decent hard wearing trousers.
“There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
"The mood will pass, sir.”

― P.G. Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Stathamender wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:29 pm
“There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
"The mood will pass, sir.”

― P.G. Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters
:Hahaha: :Thumb:

The next Question I expect from young Terry is “does my bum look big in these?”
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”