Leather boot rewaterproofing stuff?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Leather boot rewaterproofing stuff?

Post by Liphook »

Useful Dave and not that far from me either - as and when it's OK to travel again of course

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Altberg Leder Gris Boot Wax Oil is good. Available in black, brown or clear.
It is what the army use on leather patrol boots.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Bick LP is what I use on boots. I have used Scarpa for the last 10 years and I abuse my boots like a rented mule and this stuff restores them. My boots never fail due to the leather, it's always a split or more often a parting of the sole from the upper. It's not very expensive either.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

My first pair of walking boots, made by a reputable Northampton manufacturer, were not cheap. So I was dismayed when the stitching failed and the soles became detached from the uppers, after a couple of years' hard use.
I returned them to the manufacturer, and they repaired them free of charge.
Within eighteen months, the stitching on the repaired boots failed in the same way. I again returned them for repair.
This time, they asked what I had been using to waterproof the boots.

I told them that I had been using dubbin, and as Penninelad says, they confirmed that dubbin would rot the natural thread they used in making those boots. They apologised and invited me to choose a free new pair from their range, all of which were now made using synthetic thread. This, almost four years after my purchase of the original pair of boots.
Sadly, that company closed.

I now use Brasher / Berghaus walking boots, and am still happy with dubbin for keeping them waterproof.
I am sure that there are more high tech, more expensive waterproofing treatments available, but if it ain't broke ...

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Marc wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 am Bick LP is what I use on boots. I have used Scarpa for the last 10 years and I abuse my boots like a rented mule and this stuff restores them. My boots never fail due to the leather, it's always a split or more often a parting of the sole from the upper. It's not very expensive either.

I also wear Scarpa boots, have done for the last ten years, but I'm a lazy so and so when it comes to treating them. Luckily, the leather is brilliant. I always wear the soles out before leather. I think I'll try the goose fat!

But no amount of treatment will protect yer boots when walking through wet Heather, like I do in Scotland. Last time there, I might as well have not bothered.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

You're dead right about heather Santiago. Wet or dry it's extremely harsh on leather and will mince up a set of wellies in a few hours. Keepers on our moor beats get issued kevlar faced boots by Le Chameau, but they take a lot of breaking in!

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

It would be interesting to know what the old fishermen used on their leather waders. If it stood up to sea water it would have to be good stuff!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

After a days wild camping in Scotland my boots are soaked. After a week they look like they've been through a blast sanding device. Best thing to take is foot powder and plenty of pairs of dry socks, even though they'll be wet within minutes. It's a myth that Gortex is waterproof, well not when in really soggy terrain.

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Have you tried Sealskin socks Santiago? They certainly delay water ingress by some considerable time. I agree with you about goretex lined boots - water resistant yes but not truly waterproof in my experience. (I've a pair of 6 layer "goretex immersion" fabric waders by a Spanish company called Fishers Motion and these have been incredible and very long lasting, but I wouldn't like to pay for a new pair in these days of price hiking)

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers. I'll investigate.

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”