CHILDLIKE EXCITEMENT

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Bob Brookes
Zander

CHILDLIKE EXCITEMENT

Post by Bob Brookes »

When I was a young lad I was always full of anticipation before I went on a fishing trip, especially if it was something out of the ordinary. This feeling has stayed with me up until the present day, in fact it has never waned at all.

On Saturday I am off on a 2 day adventure with Hermit in search of a big grayling on the upper Wye in Wales. We are going to meet Kingfisher for the very first time, who is going to do his best to put us onto some fish. Hopefully we will be able to spend some further quality time with him in the pub afterwards!

Now Hermit is a well practiced grayling angler with a few years experience and with a personal best nudging the 2 pound mark. I, on the other hand, am a virtual novice with the 'Ladies' :laugh1: having only fished for them on 3 previous occasions.

With still 2 days to go before we set off my tackle is all ready and mostly packed in the car, fined down in order that I can be more mobile than is usual for me. Here I am, with the same childlike enthusiasm at the age of 71 as I had all those years ago. What other hobby/sport/pastime could possibly sustain that in a person for over 60 years?
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: CHILDLIKE EXCITEMENT

Post by The Old Buffer »

May we never lose our childlike nature.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Happy days boy.I have always said that ours is the best hobby in the world,if other people get as much excitement from their hobby as I do from mine,good luck to them.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'm right with you Bob as I'm heading south to Dorset next week for the same reason. To say I'm looking forward to it is beyond an understatement. Let's hope we both have a tale to tell :Hat:

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

When the excitement goes it time to hang up the rods it always starts with the planning and preparation and the dream of the red letter day.
Somebody once told me as you get older you get nearer your youth but that feeling for me of going fishing has never diminished what ever the target species is.
Bumble

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Good luck Bob, have fun and snare yourself a Lady!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Have a great fish Bob and Hermit and Kingfisher,if you start fishing early in life I reckon you never lose the anticipation of the 'next trip' and if its 'pasture's new' like the upper Wye and Grayling then even perhaps even more so, I'm just 65 and retire in March 15 and already thinking of 'away' trips...such as yours. Tomorrow I will go seeking Chub on a local stream for a couple of hours and even though I know it well I still feel the usual anticipation, on Saturday afternoon another pleasure when I will go out with my local 'Beagle' pack (hunting within the law) plenty of walking over Leicestershire's plough and grassland and you get to see possible places to wet a line ! and importantly where the landowner supports country pursuits which gives you a good chance of being given permission to fish, enough of my pro hunting rant....tight lines will be yours on the Wye.
Tight lines Dave

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Have a great trip Bob, the sense of anticipation is always wonderful and will stay with you for many years to come! Good luck!
Ted
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Have a great trip. A good friend of mine cannot stay away from those Welsh grayling haunts and commutes from Reading nearly every weekend in search of ever bigger ladies of the stream! Are you fly fishing or trotting for them? Anyways don't forget your Polaroids!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Santiago wrote:Have a great trip. A good friend of mine cannot stay away from those Welsh grayling haunts and commutes from Reading nearly every weekend in search of ever bigger ladies of the stream! Are you fly fishing or trotting for them? Anyways don't forget your Polaroids!
Trotting with cane and pin. I shall take back-up kit so that I can ledger when the arm starts to tire. My days of fly fishing are now numbered I am afraid.
I always have a pair of polaroids with me, often two, just in case1
BB
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”