ASHMEAD

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: ASHMEAD

Post by Santiago »

I thought Chris Yates had the better claim to catching the largest carp on cane and pin, ever, or am I missing something!? Anyways, well done Jon!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Santiago wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:41 pm I thought Chris Yates had the better claim to catching the largest carp on cane and pin, ever, or am I missing something!? Anyways, well done Jon!
The Bishop - cane and Ambidex fixed spool, not cane and pin...

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Gary, I suspected there was a good reason for the claim biggest carp on cane and pin! I didn't realise Chris Yates used a fixed spool reel.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

A lovely week with great company.... I always enjoy the "traditional" Ashmead visits. Thanks for the kind words Les. The cranes were back again today (three of them) and it's lovely to hear that the hares are still enjoying the meadows beyond the lake, as I haven't seen one myself this year.

Jon had quietly watched the fish visiting a spot within inches of the bank for nearly three days before it finally took his bait after he repositioned it slightly to adjust the line angles. A great bit of thoughtful angling. Lovely to see an old friend and fellow Golden Scaler land his biggest ever carp, even if it did put a set in his rod, as a permanent reminder of the occasion.

Chris Ball thought my own capture of the same fish on a cane and pin at a lower weight (43 I think?) a few years ago was probably the biggest caught on that traditional combination in this country. So I think Nigel is probably right, that this is the cane and pin biggest. Not that it matters one jot of course; it's the stunned smile on Jon's face when he was "in the moment" and for about a day afterwards that matters.....

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Wow ! What a great post and occasion to celebrate; very envious. Congratulations to everyone involved. It looked like a great few days there.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Just back from an amazing 5 days at Ashmead. Thanks so much to Skeff and Shona. No carp for me, but then I'm a rubbish angler and really only go to be there. Here's to next year!
Here are a few photos.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

A lovely thread, and great photographs.
Nice to see a 3500 btr being used in the 4 th from last photo, I have one and it is used regularly, I wonder, they arent all that old,maybe 20 yrs, I dont know really ? Do they count as ' traditional ? They certainly have the look .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Did anyone call the fashion police out for Bobthefloat :whistle:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Keston wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:42 pm Did anyone call the fashion police out for Bobthefloat :whistle:
No wonder I kept spooking those bloody carp John :laugh1:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

5 wonderful days spent in great company in carp fishing paradise. Every night was spent with no brolly watching the shooting stars. I even had my own island last night,well me and Wilson.
Ashmead gives me/us a taste of what carp fishing was like many years ago almost like a bigger Redmire.
With 7 anglers and 17 acres to wander its mind blowing.
It has monsters,myths and mystery which is a rarity these days. Great catching up with friends and also making a few more. None of which would of happened had I not joined this forum. Tonight I raise a bottle to you all :cheers:

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”