Day Ticket Pool near Swanage

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Day Ticket Pool near Swanage

Post by PershoreHarrier »

We are having a weeks holiday in Swanage this year between 9th and 16th of May.

In accordance with domestic rules I am permitted to go fishing for a day whilst on holiday and ideally I would like to find a day ticket Crucian pool for some pre-Stockton practice.

Can anyone recommend a suitable water not too far from Swanage. Thanks.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Day Ticket Pool near Swanage

Post by Olly »

Try this - but not sure how old it is! -------

https://www.fishadviser.co.uk/fisheries/13/Dorset

THE crucian pool is about 100 miles NE towards London.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Thanks Olly - are you able to recommend any of the venues?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Personally I would probably try for the bass at Wareham and downstream - Frome estuary.
See http://www.swanageanglingcentre.co.uk/where-to-fish/

I like others on here have fished the Frome - a salmon/sea trout river - with mixed coarse fish at the lower end.
But not tried ponds/lakes nearby as I pass loads on my way to the salmon. They mostly border the Hants Avon.

A phone call to the Swanage or the Wareham tackle shop ( Dean) may give you better information.

I have heard about Warmwell near Weymouth - carp water - and the same of Todber, but fished neither

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Thanks Olly that is greatly appreciated and I will follow up those leads.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

No problem! You seem to have to go nearer to the New Forest or farther westwards to find something suitable. Depends upon how far you want to go!

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Olly wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm Personally I would probably try for the bass at Wareham and downstream - Frome estuary.
See http://www.swanageanglingcentre.co.uk/where-to-fish/

I like others on here have fished the Frome - a salmon/sea trout river - with mixed coarse fish at the lower end.
But not tried ponds/lakes nearby as I pass loads on my way to the salmon. They mostly border the Hants Avon.

A phone call to the Swanage or the Wareham tackle shop ( Dean) may give you better information.

I have heard about Warmwell near Weymouth - carp water - and the same of Todber, but fished neither
All of the tidal Frome is shut in the close season at Wareham right down to beyond the river's mouth, even for sea fish as it's a private fishery owned by the EA.
Dorset crucian fishing is scarce at best. I grew up in Wareham and now live not too far away and whilst one or two local waters have crucians the only day ticket one is Whitemoor and you'll catch hundreds of other fish before you get a crucian (they are true ones, though). Christchurch AC and Wimborne AC both have a couple of small fisheries north of Wimborne with small crucians but club members only. On the Wiltshire/Dorset border near Mere Two Counties Fishery did have a pond with tench and crucians only that I fished with Peter Rolfe about 5 years ago but already it had ominous signs of F1 carp hybrids.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”