Hollow Ponds Leytonstone

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Hollow Ponds Leytonstone

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

3/4 of the Eagle Specimen group in the 70s

The crucial spot for pike required a cast to the island channels and often a combination of basic split cane rod and half a herring required the ferrules to be bent straight again. :eyebrow:
received_1273500653049741.jpeg
How do we manage to go fishing now without sea socks pulled over our wellies? And why were our feet so cold anyway?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Hollow Ponds Leytonstone

Post by Aitch »

I miss my sea socks... my lass chucked em after the heels wore through... I fished in em rode my motorbike in em and as they were my main hobbies at the time I was always in em....

Us lads fished the Hollows for Tench mostly... my best being 5lb14oz from there on bread paste... we never bothered with the pike as we weren't really set up for them... my Sealey Blue Match would never have cast a spratt let alone half a herring
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Nice fish. I got a mention in Anglers Mail with a tench of 4lb- twice that would be needed nowadays

We were mainly on the pike in the Eagle with loads of perch on livebaits. I don't think I would be up for the walk from the Roding and balancing a bucket full of water on the tube

The Hollows was for occasional trips once the rowing boats came off the water

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I fished Eagle Pond as a schoolboy in 1966 and had a net full of small Perch and I mean a netful (small net). Hollow ponds was a must fish on June the 16th in the early 1970's that was until I joined East Ham Fishing Club in 1975. Tench were the target and they usually went missing on opening night. I have very fond memories of both lakes and I would have fitted in very well in your picture, that attire was almost a uniform.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Did you ever "guest" the courtroom bank on the Eagle... we always got caught and moved back onto the pavement...

After the Rising Sun shooting we left that area, but Max stayed on... he had some cracking bags of Tench out of both those lakes but I think he eventually gave them up and moved onto the lakes at Hoddesdon and Waltham Abbey... he's on Grenville lakes over in Cambridge now... a very good angler, but carp only

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Yes. Nearly drowned when I put a foot through the corrugated iron sheets submerged walking out to the far island. Survived when the security mans guard dog dragged the lump of timber he had been chained to. And I have only recently stopped smiling with pride when Mr Stritton crept up behind me to see how the piking was going off the dam wall. He was less impressed when he found my forceps were safe at home- but the single hook dropped out on the bank

I went when at wanstead school to play rugby at the school before it became courts. A very strange place- I think a lot of circus people used it when they were out on tour

You are very welcome as associate member of the Eagle Specimen group- although joining 50 years late must be a record!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A great picture Ian.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I've been back to the Eagle and the Hollows a couple of times since the 70's... I don't even know if the Hollows are fishable any more, although I know the Eagle is now a swan sanctuary and no fishing is allowed any more... a shame as there were lovely Tench and Carp in there not to mention the Roach and Pike

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

This was from the place we called the Top Pond on the roundabout up from the Eagle as you turned left for the Hollows
It dried in the 70s and some friends rescued the carp and I believe moved them to the Eagle

With crazy London house prices- I suspect those looking over the Eagle are all way over £million and that the owners had some clout in getting fishing stopped. Although anglers tangling birds in full view of a busy pavement of bird feeders brought it on themselves
20210114_124634.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

1960s Eagle Tench

I bought a fine mesh landing net after this one.
20210114_124907.jpg

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”