Somerset rivers

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
RobertTreeve
Stickleback

Somerset rivers

Post by RobertTreeve »

Moving to Somerset hopefully one of the villages or small towns around the Yeovil area I have been fly fishing in Cornwall but would like to trot a few rivers with a centre pin, as long as I am moving and not still to long I am happy also would like to continue fly fishing. Would love any information such as rivers, bait, fly's, species, wt line or anything else. Many thanks.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Somerset rivers

Post by Paul F »

The River Tone in Taunton town centre from French wier to Firepool weir is Free, it is stuffed full of fish.
fantastic roach fishing on floatfished bread, lovely chub, bream, perch, dace, grayling.
below is a link to one of my river Tone journal reports
viewtopic.php?f=397&t=27907

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I used to fish the tone at vivary Park in Taunton Town centre, and out in Creech St Michael. Tons of silvers in Taunton Town centre, bream and tench a plenty in the Creech area. Happy days....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

River Tone in Taunton as Paul F and Boltonbullfinch have said. You also have the river Yeo, Kings Sedgemoor drain, Huntspill, Parrett and Brue not too far away. If you fancy some beach fishing, Chesil is not far. Spoilt for choice...

Have a look at the link below.

http://www.ysaa-online.co.uk/rivers

AquasilkPerfection
Minnow

Post by AquasilkPerfection »

I fish the upper reaches of the river Brue for the Roach, Chub and Perch, however in recent seasons I have also noticed that there are quite a few brownies turning up for bread flake and even luncheon meat would you believe, so next spring I intend to pursue these delightful 'spotties' with the fly.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

RobertTreeve wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:14 am Moving to Somerset hopefully one of the villages or small towns around the Yeovil
I live in a small town west of Yeovil.I would add that Dorset fishing is also worth considering.The upper reaches of the Dorset Stour are less than an hour away.The Sturminster Newton club has three millpools on its waters for instance.Dorchester AA has winter fishing on some of the river Frome.Dorchester Fishing club controls trout fishing on the Frome.Dry fly and upstream nymph.Day tickets are bookable at around £50.There is free fishing for truly wild browns on the streams around Bridport.
The Dorset coast has also been mentioned.Fabulous scenery and lots of fishing from piers,beaches and of course boats.Portland bill is a little further away, though offers superb rock fishing. :Cool:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

My ex boss at the Taunton Vale Foxhounds used to fly fish a small river that wasn't too far from Taunton, I think it was named the Otter.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

May have been the Otter in East Devon although that is a bit further away. Know for Trout I think.

Return to “Other Rivers”