Nene near Wansford

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Nene near Wansford

Post by Rutland Rod »

I’ve neglected larger river fishing the last few years and felt the urge to catch some Chub and hopefully sizeable Perch. I wanted somewhere no further than a half hour drive or so, a toss up between the Soar and the Nene, after a bit of googling I chose a small club on the Nene where being an oldie you get for £20 ! a good selection of waters, the quality of the fishing is what it’s all about but I liked the idea that access to their stretches of the Nene was by locked gates and you could drive on a hard surface close to your chosen swim.

So this morning I went for a look and good bank walk as with most clubs maps of their waters they are not always that clear, plus I wanted to check that I could access the locked gates. Just as described the locks and gate worked perfectly and the parking advice was spot on. As for the river, the level and colour looked perfect but apart from a chap lure fishing on the far bank there was no other anglers, some swims showed sign of use but lots of other spots which looked as if no one fished there. Some slack bits of water and some nice overhanging trees and good flow so varied conditions, so all look good for the winter.

So next week I will have a crack for a few hours, will stick to worms on a basic ledger rig, watching the rod tip and or / bobbin, looking forward to it just writing this !

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Re: Nene near Wansford

Post by AllRounder »

Good luck in your quest RR I used to love the Nene as a teenager. Coventry and District AA had the Fishing rights at Fotheringhay, Oundle and Cotterstock as I remember great Roach fishing on stewed wheat or casters. I’m sure it’s all changed now.
I did walk the river one afternoon a couple of years ago. Fascinating how the rivers splits and rejoins over and over again.
Some very big Barbel inhabit those parts as I’m sure you know. Let us know how you get on.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: Nene near Wansford

Post by Rutland Rod »

On my clubs website, caught last weekend in a match, 600 + BleakImage this stretch is good for Pike and you can see why !

Return to “Other Rivers”