DICK WALKER 1953 LETTER

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Marc
Zander

Re: DICK WALKER 1953 LETTER

Post by Marc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 pm

I think he’d still be at the cutting edge. He was always looking to experiment and innovate. He’d have done a book on thermoclines for sure. Dick did love his thermoclines. :Hahaha:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm

I wonder who the previous correspondent Dick had a go at there was? A Mr. R.Hill.

You see barely anybody made glass fibre rods in the UK in January1953. Allcock had abandoned the project, seemingly destroying all the mandrels carefully made by Tony Croft before they made a single rod!...I wonder if that had anything to do with Tony leaving shortly afterwards.

All Allcock offered in 1953 was the KBX Castlite spinning rod.....and I've yet to see one.

So it's hard to know just what rods Dick and Mr.Hill might have tried.

But for Dick to say that he doubted Mr.Hill had ever held a decent cane rod is just argumentative at the least....at the worst it's downright rude.

Yes, that's Dick alright.

I would have loved to have written in and reminded him of that letter a few years later......... ;-)

John Harding
Silver Bream

Post by John Harding » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Nobby,

I will have a look to see if I have the issue with Mr. Hill's letter in it, I have found an interesting reply to Richard Walkers letter which I will copy and post.

John.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks John, I look forward to that.

Return to “Dick Walker”