Help with the Wallis cast

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Paul-H

Help with the Wallis cast

Post by Paul-H »

Hi Guys

Although I have used a pin for the last 40 odd years I have never used anything other than the pull line from the rings method of casting and its now about time I learned the wallis cast.

The trouble is everytime I do a search for a Tutorial I get a different way of doing it.

Can anyone point me in the direction a tutorial to do it the correct way.

Thanks

Paul

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Help with the Wallis cast

Post by Bumble »

Yep contact wallis master on here
Bumble

Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

I am in North Kent

Paul

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

There's some guided demonstrations on 'You Tube' if you just type in 'Wallis Cast' - some good ones at that. I noticed all were filmed on a windless day...
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

Thanks for the replies guys

I have seen the videos on Youtube but the trouble is everyone shows a different variation and most are not clear enough to see what is actually going on.

Other than the one that describes it as a tai chi movement that actually looked quite easy to follow. although it is described as a modified Wallis, how modified is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJHyQJIwP4w

Paul

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Looks OK to me, except that he uses all his fingers as a guide for the "live" loop of running line, whereas most over here use the thumb as a pulley, and may - or not - close a finger against it to prevent it escaping.
Also, we tend to start with the tackle held, above one of the shots, in a light "cigarette" grip.
Lastly, as a safeguard against breaking too late, twist the rod-hand wrist as the cast slows, so the reel is handles-down; any excess line will then spill off onto the ground, rather than round the reel, and be much easier to sort out. While there's nothing like a tangle to focus the mind on braking gently as the float starts to drop, too many real stinkers can spoil the fun. Very quickly.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Paul - If you've been doing it for 40 years and are happy with your results, why change? There are many variations on a theme and how you cast is how you cast, trying to alter your technique may give you an extra yard or two but its just as likely to reduce your distance and accuracy. If distance is important do what I do, use a fixed spool :Happy:

Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

Dave Burr wrote:Paul - If you've been doing it for 40 years and are happy with your results, why change? There are many variations on a theme and how you cast is how you cast, trying to alter your technique may give you an extra yard or two but its just as likely to reduce your distance and accuracy. If distance is important do what I do, use a fixed spool :Happy:
Thanks for the reply and to be honest that exactly what I have been doing for the last 40 years, I was just wondering if I was missing out on something not being able to Wallis cast.

I suppose it might well be a case of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks etc.

Paul

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

There's a lot of stigma surrounding the wallis cast that is totally unfounded. I think a big trick is not to be afraid of it. If you can spey cast, drive a car, or do any number of activities involving a pattern of procedures that take a wee bit of practice you will be able to do the wallis. The most useful advice I ever received was to slow and stop the line before the end tackle hits the water and to 'TWAT IT SON!'. Serious.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

St John pure class still laughing now reminds me so much of a conversation between me and JT on the Kennet
Bumble

Return to “Wallis Casting”