wallace casting with taditional cane

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: wallace casting with taditional cane

Post by StefanDuma »

I bow to your superior knowledge and Google search abilities.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

The illustration mentioned casting from the reel - I think this is the ordinary multiplier/Scarborough-type cast, using the bulk of the tackle to start the reel turning; all the hands have to do (ALL?!) is slow it down. Once the lightweight spool of the aerial came out, quite modest spinners proved adequate to get things turning.
Anyhow, the cast "from the reel", although not the true "Wallis" Nottingham cast, under the impetus of a fairly heavy rig and a slow wind-up of the rod, ought to answer Motti's needs, so long as it isn't treated as an extreme long-range tactic.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I also have a really good description of Wallis casting written by Wallis. He did develop it over the years.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

StefanDuma wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm I bow to your superior knowledge and Google search abilities.
I find it strange that you continually ask people on public forums to post their sources for their opinions and yet when you are asked to do the same duck behind your paywall. Just because it is in your book or is going to be in a book does not guarantee its legitimacy. For example; The reference you made earlier to Bailey Snr describing what we now refer to as the Wallis cast clearly does not show the Wallis cast.

The reason that I mentioned Dingley is because in an earlier discussion about your reference to him being commonly called Walter you discounted the recollections of his grand children given in the DifD book as not necessarily being reliable. Yet here, to reinforce your opinion, make some obtuse reference to Bailey's grand daughter having an opinion of whether her grand father was a better angler than his brother or father.

It is this combination of pedantry and inconsistency along with your ducking behind your paywall when it suits, and the continual less than subtle advertisements for your books that dissuades me from buying any of them, despite sometimes the subject being of great interest to me. Fortunately there is a great deal of information freely available online.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Like I say I bow to your superior keyboard skills.

Return to “Wallis Casting”