Trotting

This forum is for discussing Long Trotting.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Trotting

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Maggot worked well for me last weekend, a single white on a size twenty hook, although a couple of locals told me that sweetcorn is also a very good bait for the grayling there, and can sort out the better ones. The spotty herberts will take just about anything and the monster minnows anything they can get into their greedy little mouths.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Size 20 hook! I remember those from my gudgeon days. I'm sure I have one somewhere :chuckle:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

tony1964 wrote:Size 20 hook! I remember those from my gudgeon days. I'm sure I have one somewhere :chuckle:
I seem to recall occasionally using an 18 as a boy but I think the smallest I have now is 16 - not too sure where though. :think:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

These are what I used.....

http://www.leslies-luton.co.uk/store/pr ... 8lb-NYLON/

Go for the size 20 with 2lb 8oz mono and you'll be fine, makes life much easier buying them this way. :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

You might find the following articles helpful:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/di ... yling.html

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/co ... yling.html

Whilst they were written about northern rivers and cold water grayling, they included a fair bit of "how to" that will apply anywhere. The same tactics certainly work at Barton Court on the Kennet and Salisbury on the Avon for example. At this time of the year the grayling will be spread out a lot more and will be more willing to move for a bait.

Have fun!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I usually shirt tail the shot, but sort of bait bias, if you see what I mean. ?.. . . . . . . . . Float! (forgive my improvised diagram! It seem to help keep everything neat when casting as well.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I'm with DW and bunch at about 18 inches. Anything else is too fiddly!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I use a bulk shot at just over half depth and two or three number six below this. One thing I have found is that it's best to use a string of smaller shot for the bulk. It seems to spook chub less than a couple of AA or Swan shot.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

SeanM wrote:I use a bulk shot at just over half depth and two or three number six below this. One thing I have found is that it's best to use a string of smaller shot for the bulk. It seems to spook chub less than a couple of AA or Swan shot.
I set up much the same way, I also believe that using a string of smaller shot gives a cleaner strike.

I wouldn't have thought the colour of shot, within reason, would matter much as the river fish don't have that much time to inspect every detail as they dart out for the bait. in my opinion the way the bait behaves is far more important.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I don't do a lot and when I do I do it on smaller rivers so an 11' rod is fine. I use a Barder Merlin.

Return to “Long Trotting”