Grayling float

This forum is for discussing Long Trotting.
MGs
Pike

Grayling float

Post by MGs »

Not sure where best to put this. This seems as good a place as any. Floats referred to as perch bobs are also sometimes called grayling floats, unless I have missed something. What I am referring to here is a stemmed float with a small bulbous body.

My question is, why is there one float with two such dissimilar uses? I understand the use of this type of float for perch. It can carry a big bait and due to the types of bite expected, does not always go under. This is usually fished at close range on still or slow flowing water. However, for grayling the use is going to be a trotting float. Such a float will carry a fair bit of weight but presumably will need more shotting in this guise than its use for perch.

I'm interested as I am just completing a couple of cork and cane versions.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Grayling float

Post by Santiago »

Perhaps it's because perch/grayling bobs by their design can carry a big bait and also can cope with turbulent water!?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have used the 'bob' float for both species. But for grayling it is the type of river/water where you are fishing. I fish various waters for them from the Scottish Borders to the Frome, excluding George's Yorkshire, ie hard rock with boulders to smoother chalk-streams.
The nature of the particular river makes it on occasions very very boily and a normal avon type or shouldered stick float does not 'stay afloat' for long hence the much bulkier body required.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

In the "Floats" section of 'Falkus and Buller's Freshwater Fishing,' there is this description of a perch bobber :-

"The float that most boys buy the first time they visit a tackle shop. A shorter-stemmed version - the grayling float - is a design classic. Its bulbous body prevents its being sucked under in a lively gurgling stream."

They go on to say ...

"The short-stemmed version would be less likely to be sucked under by the stream, and in shallow runs would not 'rub the backs' of the fish."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Many thanks guys. Educational as usual

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Ashbycut, what are the dimensions of the shorter version?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BigFish wrote:Ashbycut, what are the dimensions of the shorter version?
Sadly, none given, Sir. There's just a photograph of the perch bobber with that description in the text.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Just been and measured all of the ones I have made. They range from 3.75 to 5 inches, tip to bottom of stem

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There was interesting information in this thread :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... =61&t=4059

Return to “Long Trotting”