"Burley"

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

"Burley"

Post by AshbyCut »

I seem to have acquired (on the dreaded e++y, of course) a 'Burley' ... described as an "OLD CANE SPINNING/STALKING ROD MINT CONDITION." That remains to be seen, as the photo's are blurred and it's described as being 85" in length, which I'm hoping is a typo for 8' 5" ... though it may mean it's a tad short of original. However, at £14.50 it has to be worth a gamble. At worst the butt section could make a landing net handle. Photos will follow as soon as I have it in my Man Cave.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

BJMason

Re: "Burley"

Post by BJMason »

Hi Ashbycut.
I was was sort of interested in that rod too, but 85" put me off so I hope you are right and it's 8' 5". please let us know how you get on.
Bernard.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Count on it, Bernard.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the Burley was only offered as a 9 foot rod, certainly mine is 9'1" assembled.

There were different versions, reel-clamp wise, though.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:I think the Burley was only offered as a 9 foot rod
I was using this as a reference, Nobby :-

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/VintageRods_Dawsons.asp

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah! I wonder where that came form...probably an eBay listing.

An earlier rod with those reel clamps.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I took possession of the rod today, and was delighted to find that the two sections are the same size ... and at 85 inches, it is indeed 7 feet and 1 inch long. It's straight as a steel rule, and the ferrule plops satisfyingly when pulled apart. Until I get another opinion at first hand (perhaps tomorrow) I'll assume it's "right" and Dawsons did indeed make a 7 foot Burley

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I wouldn't be at all surprised, from memory the Medina comes in both 7 and 8 foot versions
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Very nice Mal and a bargain too
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

BJMason

Post by BJMason »

Hi Ashbycut
Beautiful looking rod and a bargin. Well done.
Tight lines Bernard .

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”