Sowerbutts "avocet" ???????.

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Sowerbutts "avocet" ???????.

Post by Nobby »

Well it's definitely the same images as the recent sale on eBay....that pristine rod bag is unmistakeable........

Could it be that the new owner is selling it on already? Only I doubt it would have arrived at his place yet. So he's 'lifted' the images from the sale of the rod he bought then?

Can anyone actually make head or tail of this??

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Ah i see, should have read the whole thread, definitely the same photos and he,s selling for half the price he paid....
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

It is always a case of Caveat Emptor. The buying of such rods can be compared to the buying of designer clothes where one is paying for a name; it is often better to leave such things to those with more money than sense.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Ljm183 wrote:
Nobby wrote:I see it's shot 250 miles across the country to Borehamwood now........is that a new advert Lee, I'm not familiar with Gumtree?

Bit confused why you would even use Gumtree to sell a rod frankly.

I do know a rod seller who lives quite near to Borehamwood though....
I sent the seller an email asking a few questions and got this reply

" If you don't mind I would prefer to communicate via e-mail:�dalele007@gmail.com as i am able to answer from my iPhone. This way it would�speed�up the whole process.
Cheers
Dale Hart "

Iv done a bit of research and the seller also has a canoe for sale on Gumtree that also sold on ebay a week ago He also tell people he,s in the Royal Air Force based in Ireland.

Iv just replied to his email and im waiting for a reply, hope he gets back to me quick :Wink:

Here,s my reply.

" As you have already returned my email using Gumtree i would rather answer though them.
Or as your a flight sergeant in the Royal Air Force maybe you could fly across the Irish sea and we can talk face to face, or if you want you could paddle across in the We-no-nah Prospector 15 Canadian Canoe that you also have for sale and il buy that as well, i could use it while fishing with my new Sowerbutts fishing rod that you have for sale.
So if you could delver both to me i will give you the full asking price in cash.

Get back to me asap as the canoe im using at the moment has a hole in it and as im currently in the middle of the English Channel im getting a bit worried i wont make it back to dry land. Forgot to say iv just dropped my fishing rod in the channel and wont be able to catch my dinner for today.

If your not going to answer my email can you please phone the coast guard

Regards.

Lee."
Thank you for my best laugh of the day - superb reply sir - you should be on the stage.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Yes this was interesting he told me the rod did not sell because the winning bidder could not raise the money however when I spoke with the original seller this afternoon he was totally unaware of this and the money had been paid already.
I was suspicious of the rod for a number of reasons so did not bid but don't think the original seller was or has been involved in what clearly is a scam. I have a friend in Reading CID and have given all communication over to him.
Bumble

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hi Bumble, did you get around to measuring that handle and looking at the pic/link in my earlier post??
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Sorry yes my avocet handle is 23 inches and I think 1953 or 4 but cannot be sure.
Will look at pictures now.
Bumble

Galician
Ruffe

Post by Galician »

Hi
As a very new member I have just been having a look at various posts and noticed the Jan 2014 post re a Sowerbutts
Avocet Minor and the debate it engendered. I have a Sowerbutts Avocet (Minor not mentioned on graphics) I purchased direct from them in 1962/3, and am interested in knowing if the Minor was a different rod altogether? I am intending to start using the rod again this winter, and no, I am not interested in selling. This was the very first rod I ever purchased and I remember asking Sowerbutts to hold the rod for me until I had saved enough money, and then literally running to their shop in Commercial St from work to pay for it. I have treasured it ever since. Had one of their poles as well which I rather foolishly sold in 64/5. Is'nt hindsight a wonderfful thing!!
Galician

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Welcome to the forum, it could be that the minor bit has more to do with how the rod was finished, same sort of thing as the Edgar Sealey Octofloat and Octofloat deluxe, the latter has different reel fittings and I think lined butt and tip rings.

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”