Fred J Taylor Roach Rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Fred J Taylor Roach Rod

Post by Beresford »

And surprise surprise the auction has been cancelled again. Be interesting to know if it has been finally sold or not!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Strange that, but yes....auction cancelled early after a request for 'serious bidders' as opposed to 'watchers' to make themselves known. Also a statement that there had been some 'offers' which of course would save the seller the final sales price fees and possibly the PayPal fees too. Since this sale was on behalf of a pal, it may be the seller decided this would be the best way to save his pal some money.

Whilst some might object to another auction being cancelled early, the seller has just saved his pal some £100 in fees I think.

Looked at from that angle, you might think it was a nice thing to do for a pal?

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I can't say much as i bid early and told the seller it was just to say i bid on Chris's rod :chuckle: but I really thought after the eBay messages back and forth that it was going to run it's course this time. My 'exactly the same Barder restored but not owned by Chris Yates FJT' failed to reach it's reserve and I wasn't in a position to bid at the time and After it ended I made an offer to the seller that was accepted and he gave me time to raise the funds. That was all fair and above board but this is getting a bit above a joke now, and if i had been tendering a serious bid before I would not be doing so if it came up again, so I think he's putting off bidders doing that. The seller should set a sensible reserve and let it run, or, get out on the river with a speedia and avon float and find some chub like i will be with mine :wink:

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Can't say but I agree with Greentura - including failing to make reserve at Mullocks has the rod been up for auction 4 times now? I think it should be rechristened the "Yo-Yo" rod - always returning to owner! Nobby - you have far too kind a heart.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I think selling an item like that needs a sealed envelope bid sale. All serious bidders write what they are willing to pay and submit the bid in writing before a set date, removes the late snipe bids as you either bid or don't and it's a binding contract. The reserve is set unseen to bidders and all bids and the reserve are held by a third party. No pulling out of the bids, or the sale, so fare for both parties :thumb:

personally the price I'd put on it would be about £1200 which it nearly reached before being pulled, bet the top bidder was gutted, unless he did a deal under the table :wink:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”