500/550 difference in ring guides

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

500/550 difference in ring guides

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have a 500 but looking on the chapman site the number of rings on each section differ. The 500 has 2 guides on the butt section and 3 on the top section (4 if counting the tip ring) whereas the 550 has 3 on the butt and 4 on the top section (5 if counting the tip ring) Mine is a 500 bought from JohnL off the forum a couple of years ago, it has the ring guides of a 550 though, a bit of discussion here about the rod http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 189&t=4020

So what do my fellow fishers think? 500 or 550 and will it make any difference if I take off a guide from each section and have it as a 500 with regards to the number of guides.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: 500/550 difference in ring guides

Post by AshbyCut »

I once had a discussion with one of the Chapman brothers over the telephone about the number of guides on a rod I was restoring (a Marco 'Test'), suggesting to him that it looked a bit 'sparce.'

He suggested to me that a number of manufacturers in the 1960's sometimes used as few guides as they could in an attempt to cut costs to compete with overseas imports. I ended up adding an extra guide to both tip and centre sections, and it 'felt' much better, with the stresses more evenly spread.

The 500 is described on the Chapman's website as "This rod is designed to meet the demand for an inexpensive 10ft Avon," so I thinks it's a choice between going for a 'completely original' look and an 'upgrade.'

On the 500 'Poacher' project I was working on I was going with 4 guides + tip on the top, and one guide and Butt guide on the butt on both the Poacher and the full length sections, but that was when I intended to keep it.

Does it need a rebuild ? If not, purely personally I'd leave it as it is with the extras.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Loop the 500 you have with the extra ring,s is a deluxe spec rod with an extra on the butt.

" Chapman 500 De-Luxe supplied in same format as the above rod but having Aqualite butt and end ring with chrome intermediates, and divisional cloth bag.

Ring spacing:
butt 20″ ——— 9- 3/4″
top 13″ ———- 11″ ——— 9″ ——— 6 1/2″

Rings butt size 18 Aqualite size 7 full open bridge (Chromed)
top Full open bridge size 5 —- 4 —– 4 —– 3 —– no 3 Aqualite tip "

Lee.
Last edited by Ljm183 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

It does not require a rebuild as it is still very nice which was restored by JohnL. However, as it is a few inches short and I have aquired a top section at the correct length so was going to give it a overhaul and then I can changed the colour of the whippings to my new favourite green. I quite like the number of guides on it anyway, was mearly an observation when looking at the Chapman site and comparing the 500/550. The spare tip section I have is not a chapman blank but without measuring the tapers it looks the same. The more I think about it the more I may just get Ryan to make me a new tip and finish it myself
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Why not get Chapman to make you a new tip section and keep it original

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Ljm183 wrote:Loop the 500 you have with the extra ring,s is a deluxe spec rod with an extra on the butt.

" Chapman 500 De-Luxe supplied in same format as the above rod but having Aqualite butt and end ring with chrome intermediates, and divisional cloth bag.

Ring spacing:
butt 20″ ——— 9- 3/4″
top 13″ ———- 11″ ——— 9″ ——— 6 1/2″

Rings butt size 18 Aqualite size 7 full open bridge (Chromed)
top Full open bridge size 5 —- 4 —– 4 —– 3 —– no 3 Aqualite tip "

Lee.
Righto Lee :Hat: Didn't think about the de-luxe althought it doesnt say de-luxe I guess whovever retored it before John used that spec but didn't include the de-luxe

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Ljm183 wrote:Why not get Chapman to make you a new tip section and keep it original
Aren't they more expensive?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Copper whipping look,s nice on the butt ring and ferrules.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Loop Erimder wrote:
Ljm183 wrote:Why not get Chapman to make you a new tip section and keep it original
Aren't they more expensive?
Possibly ,,,, but worth a call or email

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Ok thanks Lee :Thumb:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”