Chapmans to close down

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Chapmans to close down

Post by Greentura »

That's correct Roachtench, and I will still be buying some parts from John too. But as his stock runs down I hope to be able to fill the gaps, provide rods in blank, part built kits and finished form, supplying many other items, cork rings, intermediate guides in high and low vintage styles and custom made natural agate lined guides, as well as my floats, float tubes and other products. The replica Walker 36" landing nets are being made now, prices on application, the spreader and metal work has been copied from my own original B James 36" walker net, but the handle length has been increased to 6', the mesh is dark green and fish safe so it can be used in most fisheries (some ask for 40" minimum), and will also be available in a smaller 24" version too, possibly a longer 2 part handle in time. I have made one hundred spreaders and blocks with the handle spigot and knurled thread, these will also form the basis for a tear drop style net as well which will share the spreader, knurled bolt and handle parts. I have been asked if I will be supplying these parts for people to build their own but due to the cost involved in tooling I will only be selling complete nets and packages with a combination of net heads. I's cost nearly double what I expected, things like three phase converters, re roofing the workshop as it leaked, putting in electric, lighting and sockets. the cost of registering a limited company, registering a trademark, the screen printing for logo transfers, let alone material costs, and all the time having to do most of the work myself so I've not been earning too. My wife is a saint and if this has taught me anything then it would be when working out how much it costs to set up, double it and add 20 percent, then expect unexpected bills on top

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

The very best wishes in your new venture Greentura I'm sure it will be successful, quality at the right price always sells.
Tight lines
Dave

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Rutland Rod wrote:The very best wishes in your new venture Greentura I'm sure it will be successful, quality at the right price always sells.
Tight lines
Dave
Thank you Dave, feeling a bit of an uphill struggle at the moment though

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Addition to the last post, I am now able to supply high quality cork rings in several sizes, rod building materials and rod guides at competitive prices, I hope to iron all the niggles with the website and have them on there soon, and am starting to take orders for rods for delivery by June 2017, not yet in production for spare tip sections and blanks but not long now and if anyone needs anything I'm sure I can find something if I don't have it already. Floats are selling and my replica walker net in 36" and 24" is in production, all metalwork, cane and handles are made by me using my original walker 36" met as a pattern, with only slight changes to design to make it possible with the materials and equipment, but the original arms and handle are interchangeable with my new parts, and of course the net mesh is fish safe to comply with the rules and bylaws.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Chapmans. The Brothers move on. Interesting video.

The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Let's hope Mrs. Royer is able to keep the exports coming.

Without her, just as with her late husband Andy before her, it all grinds to a halt.

Still, there's enough culms there to keep the rods coming for a while yet.

Good Luck to John, good luck to Andy and a happy retirement to Brian.

So. Who's getting all those glued up sections and spare tips then?

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

It looks like Mrs Royer is going to pass the business on ( https://bambooandy.wordpress.com/ )
Lets hope whoever takes over continues to supply good quality bamboo.

Pete

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Greentura wrote:Addition to the last post, I am now able to supply high quality cork rings in several sizes, rod building materials and rod guides at competitive prices, I hope to iron all the niggles with the website and have them on there soon, and am starting to take orders for rods for delivery by June 2017, not yet in production for spare tip sections and blanks but not long now and if anyone needs anything I'm sure I can find something if I don't have it already. Floats are selling and my replica walker net in 36" and 24" is in production, all metalwork, cane and handles are made by me using my original walker 36" met as a pattern, with only slight changes to design to make it possible with the materials and equipment, but the original arms and handle are interchangeable with my new parts, and of course the net mesh is fish safe to comply with the rules and bylaws.

Andy, in conversation with another forum member we were discussing your new business and wondered, since you are going for an authentic vintage production finish rather than the deep high-gloss dipped varnish finish, if you might consider making impregnated cane rods. Although they need many days in the resin bath the actual finishing of the blanks might offer a cost effective solution since there is so little varnishing to be done. Recently I've been trying too buy a second Aberdeen built Sharpes Carp and through various conversations with a few folks it's quite clear that these rods are held in very high esteem and those who have them tend to want to hang onto them.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

[quote="The Old Buffer"]Chapmans. The Brothers move on. Interesting video.

Interesting to watch.

But.....Oh dear! That commentary!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Chapman,s gone

This is the view that used to be seen as you looked down the ally towards the Chapman workshop

This is what you see today

The view of the rear of the workshop used to look like this

Now it,s

I wonder if John or Brian took the Sign ?

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”