Unknown Chapmans rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: Unknown Chapmans rod

Post by Reedling »

Reading this post made me think of recent forgeries in the world of Antiques and Collectables and my mind wandered to labels being faked/copied and put on rods, which has been spoken about on TFF before. I am not saying this is a forged rod/label but reading the above posts could this be another scenario to consider, especially maybe on future rods.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

The triple inters near the handle appear on at least some Chapman finished rods. My Q8 has the same.
A non standard special order stretched Mk IV style perhaps may account for the lack of Logo?
The long handle and the apparent threaded tip ring indicate it being not intended for tiddlers.
I think most Canesters on here would be happy to own it !

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have a Chapman spinning rod that is not listed on their site, mine has the gold label whilst this rod above has the black script label. I was told mine was probably made to special order, I reckon this rod is the same. A very rare rod I should imagine and I would certainly give it a good home.

Here is a link to my little un listed rod...

viewtopic.php?f=189&t=17710

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

But what may be the reason to fake a decal of a Chapmans rod?They are not the priciest rod available,not expensive in any way....The blank is of some quality,looking at the cork,ferrules and at least the cane where the nodes are placed the right way...I for my part like this rod.Christened it yesterday with two Rainbow Trouts of 1 1/2 lbs a piece which put a niche bend to the blank.....

Does anybody of you stand in contact to Chapmans? Do they have a website?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Tinca Tinca, I am not saying your rod is a fake , far from it, look at my other post regarding a rod I have that is not listed on Chapmans website. :Hat:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The Split Cane Splinter Group

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Reedling,Sir,I had not understood it like you say my rod is a 100percent fake.My question shound go that direction,that I wanted to know what reason
generally can exist to fake a Chapman rod...That are not rods in a price class of Barder or B.James etc..I seldom see a Chapmans rod in used
condition go for much more than 200 Pounds...the rod in question,so the seller said was restored by Clive Young and I paid 225 Pounds for a
rod which is restored to a high standard in my opinion...so why????

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

On Ebay you may have seen water slide transfers available to change a no name rod into a named one. You also see labels copied and put back on a rod that would otherwise have no makers name. Whilst this is ok if you let it be known that the transfer name is a copy, if you do not then it is an intended faked, especially if offered as genuine. Some people do not have to be making a fortune to fake items, I see this quite often in many fields of collectable items. I will say it again for you, I do not think your rod is a fake and if you take the time to read what I have said you will see that I also have a rod that is not listed on the Chapmans website, and I do not think mine is a fake either. I am saying that items can be faked, not always for a high monetary gain but just to give an item a kind of provenance/being. I suggest you contact Chapmans and tell them what you have and I am sure they can re assure you that what you have is a genuine one off, special rod. What I say is my own opinion of how I see things, you need to speak to Chapmans to give you what you seek. Personally I would be happy to have and use your rod, it is for all to see a well made and quality item you should be proud of. :Hat:

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I had understood what you wanted to say.Only wanted to know the reason why rods get faked...A split cane rod is nothing everybody knows like an
Adidas shoe for example...Are there millions of people outside on the banks who know names of rod builders?For most of them it is an old (cane)rod
i think

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Might that be a special build 11 foot 550? The large butt ring suggests a possible Mark IV clone, maybe?

If you carry the Mark IV taper onwards by 6 inches you get a fairly light tip. A check to see if it has a compound taper might be interesting...but if it is a 500 clone it might be a straight taper as Chapmans didn't put compound tapers on the lighter rod. I don't think it is an extended 500 though as I have an extended Mark IV Avon and you end up with a lighter tip than that.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”