I've just bought my first Chapman rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: I've just bought my first Chapman rod

Post by Nobby »

Always nice to hear what a professional thinks Stephen. I've not heard a bad word about them or their cane.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Me neither. Not only the quality of product but quality of service too. On more than one occasion when I've phoned, both of the Chapman brothers never seem at all hurried and are more than happy to spend time talking, advising and then packaging up an order of just a few quids worth even. Nothing is ever a problem.

If only some of the big-name tackle companies would learn a thing or two from people like this. Going off on a slight tangent, I'm reminded of a story a mate told me. he'd bought a bivvy from a well know, big name tackle company, the second name of this company rhymes with "cash". Anyhow, the bivvy leaked on its first outing, so being based nearby he opted to return the bivvy to them direct, rather than through the shop he bought it from. After about 4 weeks he phoned to find out if they'd tested it and where he stood with regards to having a replacement. He was then told that they'd not had a chance to test it yet. Frustrated, he asked them how they go about testing it and was told that they simply hosed it down while someone was inside.
"Any chance of getting that hose turned on a bit soon as I really want to go fishing?" he asked.
"Yeah, we're a bit busy at the moment mate..."

Would Chapmans treat their customers so?
Doubt it.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Silly of them yes, but in truth your mate's redress is legally with the retailer under the Sale of Goods Act.

Nevertheless it is foolish to treat customers that way and leave them Gnashing their teeth.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Very good, Nobby. Like it!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Nobby wrote:Always nice to hear what a professional thinks Stephen. I've not heard a bad word about them or their cane.
Same here, with one exception - Kevin Clifford, in his "History of Carp Fishing Revisited" (and possibly also in the earlier edition of the book) is very dismissive about the quality of Chapman cane. I seem to remember GOS drawing attention to this on the old Pure Piscator forum (needless to say he didn't agree with KC's view).

I don't know why KC held/holds this view - maybe he was let down by a faulty example early in his angling career and never forgave Chapmans for it?

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”